Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Anri/Toshiki Kadomatsu -- I Can't Ever Change Your Love For Me



One of my favourite songs by Anri(杏里) was never released as an official single but was a track on her 7th album, "COOOL", released in June 1984 (29 years ago...wow). "COOOL" was the last of the three consecutive albums that Toshiki Kadomatsu(角松敏生) helped out on that finally pushed Ms. Kawashima over the top.



"I Can't Ever Change Your Love For Me" is this lovely soft summer ballad that paired Anri's mellow vocals with some great flugelhorn (the instrument of AOR) and saxophone among the arrangement. I first heard it on her 3rd BEST album, "The Anri" which JTM has already written an extensive article on. In a way, it reminds me of one of The Carpenters' final hits, "Touch Me When We're Dancing" from 1981. Both songs are a nice way to end the day. I mentioned about the flugelhorn and sax, but that opening with the piano and the other instruments just immediately puts me at ease.


Written and composed by Kadomatsu, he did a cover version of the song 16 years later for his album, "The gentle sex" which got as high as No. 5 on Oricon. The above video is of him and Anri doing a duet of "I Can't Ever Change Your Love For Me" at Yokohama Arena in 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.