Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Sing Like Talking -- Skylark

(cover version)

In my neighbourhood surrounding Minami-Gyotoku Station on the Tozai Line in Ichikawa, I once made it a habit to head over to a family restaurant near the station for breakfast. It was part of the Skylark chain, and this particular branch had a breakfast buffet which consisted of all-you-can-eat pasta, hamburgers, salad, fried fish, and other stuff. Uh, nope, this wasn't strictly healthy fare. And when I consider that the manager always greeted me with a smile and said "Itsumo osewa ni natte oriamasu..."(いつもお世話になっております...Thank you for coming as always), I figured that I was dining there a bit too often. Still, it is one of my gastronomically good memories.

All this to introduce another smooth groove by Sing Like Talking. "Skylark" was a track on their 1997 album, "Welcome to Another World" which also contained the lovely ballad "Rendezvous". And Chikuzen Sato (佐藤竹善)and the crew brought in a great uptempo contribution packaged like a grand ol' Stevie Wonder hit from the 70s. Sato's splendid vocals along with another great turn by the horns spark "Skylark" into something wonderful. I think Keizo Nakanishi (中西圭三)would have enjoyed contributing his vocal cords to this one as well. I only wish that songs like these had gotten a bit more love at the time, but certainly the concert version of this got the lion's share of appreciation.

Sato and fellow member Chiaki Fujita (藤田千章)were responsible for this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.