Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Off Course -- Watashi no Onegai (私のお願い)



Well, it's getting close to the end of the year so I was starting to clean up the CD shelves a bit when I came across an old compilation album by the 70s/80s band Off Course(オフコース)titled "Off Course - Winter Collection".


On the album, I found a track called "Watashi no Onegai" (My Hope) which was written and composed by Kazumasa Oda(小田和正). Originally, it was a track on the band's 8th album "We Are" from November 1980, and it's a straight-on love song without any of the bitterness or sadness that sometimes gets into an Off Course ballad. Oda just serenades his heart out for the girl of his dreams which probably had the band's fans frothing at the mouth and leaking tears whenever this was performed at the concerts.


I'm not even sure whether this was an official cover by Sing Like Talking's marvelous Chikuzen Sato(佐藤竹善), but here he is giving his own fine version of "Watashi no Onegai" on the keyboards. Sato and Oda have worked together in the past, so I'm pretty sure the latter would approve of the former's performance.

Not quite sure how the ballad would fit into a winter album but I guess I can imagine the happy couple snuggling together in front of a fireplace around the Yuletide.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.