Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Kaoru Hirose -- Information Love


Didn't think I would ever get another Hirose onto the blog, but here we are. Instead of Kohmi, here is Kaoru Hirose(広瀬かおる), a singer for whom I have far less information than the other Geddan singer (still not sure whether Kohmi is brooding about that little fad regarding one of her songs).

The reason I selected her for today was that her debut album, "Shakin' It Up" from 1982 was something that I have seen a number of times while leafing through "Japanese City Pop" but had never gotten to hear. Secondly, one of the tracks is really nice..."Information Love". If it weren't for the fact that it was made in the early 80s, I would have thought that this was a song about an Internet freak. Instead it seems to be about a love affair taking place over the old-fashioned telephone (the push-button one, not the one with the crank). And it's all set to mellow and cheerful notes which may have been concocted by Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎)by the sound of it but I couldn't track down the lyricist or composer. Hirose herself sounds quite soulful (like Hitomi Tohyama) so perhaps I might see if I can succeed in a search for that album. Dang, but what big hair, though.


You can hear excerpts from a few of the tracks on "Shakin' It Up" at Hip Tank Records above.

December 3 2020: Thanks to a comment from Andrew below, I realized that I had written this up before discovering the JASRAC database where I found out that Hirose took care of the lyrics while singer-songwriter Yoichi Takizawa(滝沢洋一) was responsible for the melody.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks. Hirose was the lyricist and did compose a few. But Alfredo Chen gets composing credit on most. Recorded in LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Andrew. Thanks for the information. I guess I wrote this up before I discovered the JASRAC database. When I checked there, Hirose wrote the lyrics but this time, the composer for "Information Love" is actually listed as singer-songwriter Yoichi Takizawa. However from the same source, Alfred Chen did indeed take care of composition duties on some of her other songs such as "Cosmic Space City" and "Passing Away".

      http://www2.jasrac.or.jp/eJwid/main?trxID=A00401-3#result

      Delete
    2. Sorry, but please disregard the JASRAC link. For some reason, I keep getting errors trying to get there.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.