Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, September 23, 2019

BRIO Presents AOR Best Selection by J-Canuck


Almost exactly a year ago, I provided an article titled "Radio Influences (City Pop/AOR)" when autumn arrived a bit more seasonally than it has today. In it, I talked about some of the light and mellow songs that I used to hear on the radio as a kid and how some of those songs at least informed my interest in Japanese City Pop and the nation's version of AOR.

This article perhaps can be considered to be a sequel to that article and it's based on a couple of albums from a short series called "BRIO Presents AOR Best Selection". As far as I know, there were just the two discs called "On Shore" and "Off Shore". I don't remember exactly when I did purchase them (although the original release date was 2002) but I found them in the AOR section of one of my favourite CD shops (Tower Records, Ginza Yamano, HMV, etc.). And that was one of the remarkable differences between music stores in Japan and Canada (and presumably the United States); the Japanese seemed to love AOR so much that the stores needed to have an AOR section. I never saw such a section when Tower Records had a branch in Toronto decades ago or even in the local legendary Sam The Record Man branches, but back then, such artists and records would have been considered just regular pop probably.

In any case, within the BRIO series, not only did I find some of those songs that I had been hearing for years and years on the radio such as the beloved Kenny Loggins' classic, "Heart to Heart" which is featured in the "Radio Influences" article but also never-before-heard AOR songs and ballads that I hadn't been able to identify until I bought the CDs (just liked the song, didn't care for names or titles when I was a kid apparently). So as a combination of an Author's Pick and a regular album article, I've selected some of these revelations for your perusal.


Ambrosia -- Biggest Part of Me (1980)


First, from the "Off Shore" disc, here is Ambrosia's "Biggest Part of Me" which is one of those songs that I always heard but never identified. It just seemed to get the lion's share of time on the radio at home and at my orthodontist's office. It was pleasant enough back then but I truly appreciate it now, especially David Pack's vocals, Ernie Watts' welcoming sax solo and those keyboards by David Lewis. I guess it made the brace-tightening a whole lot easier to take back then.

Lee Ritenour and Eric Tagg -- Is It You? (1980)


Also from "Off Shore" and a previously unidentified song, "Is It You?" (yes, it was probably part of my orthodontist's playlist, too), when I finally found out who Lee Ritenour was, I'd assumed that he was behind the vocals. However, it was actually Eric Tagg who already has a couple of other articles represented on the blog, including "No One There". That languid and elastic guitar intro by Ritenour is the key identifier for me.


Stanley Clarke & George Duke -- Sweet Baby (1981)


Now, going to "On Shore", this love ballad by keyboardist George Duke and bassist Stanley Clarke is one of the tracks that I had never heard about on radio. It was actually 2002 or whenever I bought BRIO that I found out about this treasure for the first time. Better late than never, I guess. And I have to say that it was the first time I'd ever heard of an electric sitar. The song perpetually reminds me of an old student of mine who was half-French and half-Japanese. Francoise and her class were thinking of their own ice cream flavour names (I was pretty creative when it came to conversational exercises), and she sweetly dubbed her dish, Sweet Baby. Not sure if she was ever an AOR fan, though.

Herbie Hancock -- Paradise (1982)


Yes, for those 1980s music fans, this is indeed the same guy behind the big 1983 electro-funk hit of "Rockit" with its famous music video and the show-stopping performance at the Grammys that year. I also did a double-take when I looked at the back of "On Shore" and saw his name with "Paradise", from his final disco-pop album "Lite Me Up". He even provides the vocals here for this truly breezy AOR that also had the assistance of David Foster, Bill Champlin, and Jay Graydon. Those three also helped out on Mariya Takeuchi's(竹内まりや)"Miss M" album back in 1980.

The Doobie Brothers -- You Belong To Me (1977)


My final entry barely has some engrams of memory in my head. I may have heard it on the radio but it still came out as a revelation when I heard "On Shore". Originally from The Doobie Brothers' 1977 album "Livin' on the Fault Line", it's a short-and sweet song created by Michael McDonald and Carly Simon, notable for that brief horn insertion near the end that makes it all worthwhile.


I just had to include the Carly Simon cover from 1978. Her more famous take on "You Belong To Me" is also a bit longer and has its own charms through Simon's vocals and David Sanborn's sax solo in lieu of the horns.

Of course, there were many more discoveries while listening to the two discs but I will leave it here for now. However, if you're in one of the major cities in Japan and manage to visit a major CD shop with some interest in these golden pop numbers, just search out for the AOR section, and you may just find compilations like the ones I have here or even the original source albums such as "Livin' on the Fault Line" or "Lite Me Up".

5 comments:

  1. Hello J-Canuck,’

    I always wondered why most people call this music AOR until I read your previous article of this series?

    When I was growing up, AOR was album oriented rock but not the music you, and I guess Japan considers “album oriented rock.”

    I was raised in, as the coastal US denizens would call “fly over country”, meaning everything between New York City and Los Angeles.

    The genre of AOR back in the day was referred to rock albums from the Beatles to the death of disco.

    Not including disco of course - because disco sucks? /s

    That’s sarcasm with a capital S but I digress…

    You know, anything post British Invasion or any of its American derivatives (Aerosmith, Boston, Styx, Kansas etc).

    The genre known as AOR was considered soft rock or adult contemporary at least below the 49th parallel in North America. The picks you have given definitely fall within those guidelines.

    Even the Doobie Brothers fell into that Americanized category pre Michael McDonald era. When I think of the Doobie Brothers I remember them as the Southern Rock band who pumped out hits like Long Train Running, Listen To The Music, and Black Water that were in constant rotation on those domestic AOR FM stations in the mid to late 70s.

    The sea change happened when I was watching an episode of “What’s Happening” and they had the new Micheal McDonald incarnation of the band doing “Taking it to the Streets.”

    I wish I could provide links to the episode. They existed at one time but they have since been taken down by Sony.

    *Update: *Bleep* Youtube! Daily Motion has it!*

    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x61y3qt

    Herbie Hancock was more famous around my household due to his jazz-fusion work - specifically Watermelon Man, Headhunters and Chameleon.

    It was the same with Stanley Clarke and George Duke but they were also trying to get out of the jazz-fusion ghetto in the late 70s/early 80s. Which is probably why I don’t remember this track. But I loved some George Duke’s “Dookie Stick!”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLicoZ8v3pA

    Now I didn’t know that Carly Simon’s version was a remake of a Micheal McDonald song. After all, it was a major hit on the radio. It was playing everywhere back then and you could not escape it.

    Thanks for the ride down memory lane. I usually get this type of article from Kanazawa-san’s Light Mellow blog but it’s nice to get your perspective on this subject as well.

    Excuse me while I funk out to some old George Duke (RIP).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chasing Showa!

      I'm still wondering why this genre has been called Album Oriented Rock or Adult Oriented Rock since I think people of the genre such as Christopher Cross and Jaye P. Morgan are about as far away from rock music as anyone can get. I tried reading the Wikipedia article on the subject but it was not particularly illuminating.

      I've found that there have been a number of names associated with AOR over the years. There was Smooth Jazz (again there are jazz fans who stridently demand that this isn't jazz) back at the turn of the century and now I've been hearing about Yacht Rock due to some TV show.

      If the term AOR was used in the United States, then most likely it existed up here in Canada as well. It's just that I never heard of those letters until I reached Japan.

      Interesting point you made about The Doobie Brothers starting out as this Southern Rock band. I think that the band Chicago had begun as a jazz rock/progressive rock group, and both of them I've categorized as very AOR. That could be a parallel with some of the Japanese artists who started out in folk in the early 1970s but then decided to go City Pop/AOR later in the decade.

      "Taking It To The Streets"...a title that rings a bell. I will have to check it out.

      The question from me to which maybe you and some of the other commenters can help provide an answer is why did the Japanese fall so head-over-heels with AOR. Was it perhaps that the music symbolized the images of the luxurious life in California or New York?

      Delete
    2. Just saw that "What's Happening!!" episode. Good times (no pun intended). I always loved the opening theme by Henry Mancini. And then I heard "Taking It To The Streets"; yup, now I remember:)

      Delete
    3. Good lord! I can't even believe that the Doobie Brothers actually showed up on a sitcom. But then again, Boy George did show up at the end of a "TJ Hooker" episode. Ah, the look on Shatner's face. :)

      Delete
  2. Good evening J-Canuck,

    I wish I could answer that question. Anything I might give is subjective, anecdotal and strictly my opinion but I think that good music transcends all boundaries of language, culture, class, race, or species.

    Even plants and beasts are moved by it so its power over us is immense.

    Mathematics might be the universal language of the universe, but music, like food,love and sex, is a universal language for all living things on Earth - I can't speak for other worlds.

    Maybe I'm being a little too esoteric about this but that's how I feel. Even though I think you hit the nail on the head regarding luxurious California or New York.

    I think latter day Showa babies were enamored with Western culture in general and American culture specifically all the way through the Bubble era.

    And, in the end, for the US and Japan it all fell apart. Now we are so nostalgic for that time it hurts. Not only for those who were alive then but for those who weren't even born when it happened.

    What's the word for false nostalgia now: Anemoia?

    Oh, and if you want to see and hear Micheal McDonald's "Taking To The Streets" performance here's part 2 of that episode.

    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kdwf2

    Fast forward to 12:34...

    For those of us who were listening to the Doobie Brothers up to that point "Taking It To the Streets" was a remarkable change from what they did before.

    As far as "yacht rock" is concerned it was a created by a group of people who pretty much invented the genre out of the songs from that era as a joke - at first. It was a web series created over 15 years ago. However, I give it props for resurrecting artists that would have, and some of them that shouldn't have, been forgotten.

    The web series is on Youtube if you are so inclined.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.