Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Midori Karashima -- Anata wa Shiranai(あなたは知らない)


It's been a little over a couple of years since a Midori Karashima(辛島美登里)article has been put up on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" so I'm going to start off today with one of her creations from her "Beautiful" album which came out in January 1993.


Listened to the album for the first time in several years last night and getting re-acquainted with Midori-sensei's work, it was interesting to realize once more that it wasn't all balladry in "Beautiful". There is also some fairly upbeat material in there bordering on urban contemporary. However, this particular song here is one of her classic ballads which seems to be The Teacher's speciality.

"Anata wa Shiranai" (You Don't Know) is also the singer-songwriter's 14th single from May 1992 with Mitsuo Hagita(萩田光雄)in charge of arrangement. Even listening to it for the first time...again, I could peg the arrangement as all Karashima since it has that certain majestic swing into drama while it is led by the singer's soft and reassuring vocals. I can relax on my sofa but also be transported into air with this one. The video below has her singing "Anata wa Shiranai" close to the original recorded version. The song made it to No. 12 on Oricon.


(at around 14 seconds)

Not surprising that the song was actually used as a theme tune for the 1992 TBS drama "Ai wa Douda"(愛はどうだ...How's Love?)which starred the late Ken Ogata(緒形拳). Ogata had also played the author Yukio Oshima(三島由紀夫)in the 1985 biopic "MISHIMA".

2 comments:

  1. J-Canuck, thanks for covering another Karashima song. Anata wa Shiranai is one of my favorites.

    Among the different version of this song, I like this concert version the most. It uses guitar as accompaniment. It is simple and makes Karashima's elegant voice stands out much more. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85sPuqBJbo0

    I don't know if it's a Karashima thing, but she likes to use the word "air" and "wind" as an analogy of lost love forbidden love, something that exists but nobody notices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Larry.

      I was hoping that you would chime in once I put the article up. I will have to check out your concert version.

      To be honest, I never noticed her use of "air" and "wind" either but she's often struck me as being very selective of her language in her music, so it wouldn't surprise me.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.