Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Hidefumi Toki -- You're Dancing

 

Last night, I heard through the Come Along Radio Twitter account that saxophonist Hidefumi Toki(土岐英史)had passed away on June 26th at the age of 71. Almost a year ago, I wrote about Toki and the first track from his 1978 album "City", "Speak Low" since I enjoyed listening to the track so much.

In tribute to the Kobe-born musician, I'm going to go with his nearly 10-minute long jam called "You're Dancing", the title track from his album that I found from his website was released in 1979. Smooth Toki and his mates each have a ball taking the steering wheel whether it be him, punchy trombonist Hiroshi Fukumura, footloose and fancy-free pianist Aki Takase and snappy drummer Arihide Kurata. Kurata especially gets on that marching beat. The whole song has a good drive with a mellow beginning which reminds me a bit of a rendition of "In a sentimental mood" by Duke Ellington that I used to know.

Toki's most recent album was the September 2020 "Guitar Man" with him on alto saxophone. My condolences go to his family, friends and fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.