Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Momoko Kikuchi -- Ivory Coast

 

Well, that was a heck of a day and night on Friday with me going all nuts by putting up 13 articles, but I just had to hit that 101 before finishing September.

I guess that I got some of that gumption from watching this specific scene early in "Top Gun: Maverick". I also wanted to reach Mach 10.

Anyways, no City Pop for this weekend. Ironically, I'm starting off the weekend with an 80s aidoru who did have the penchant for the urban contemporary genre, but this time around it's different with this particular tune. "Ivory Coast" was the B-side of Momoko Kikuchi's (菊池桃子)10th single "Aidoru wo Sagase"(アイドルを探せ...Find the Idol) released in March 1987. With that supposedly African-esque percussion along with some synthesizers, "Ivory Coast" tends more toward synthpop by my personal estimation.

Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司), the composer who has usually come up with the City Pop goods for Kikuchi, was also the one behind "Ivory Coast" with Masao Urino(売野雅勇)as the lyricist. Joe Hisaishi(久石譲)handled the arrangement. The leisurely paced song was also included in the singer's 4th album "Escape from Dimension" which came out a little later in May.

1 comment:

  1. Kikuchi is very photogenic. I think part of that is because of that certain gleam in her eye.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.