Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Gary Numan -- Cars

 

Last Thursday, I was reminiscing K-Tel and disco. This week, it'll be music video and New Wave/synthpop. But in doing so, I have to confess that despite all of my fond memories for the music of my youth, I hadn't heard Tubeway Army's "Are 'Friends' Electric?" until last night, and I'm left wondering what other goodies I've missed out on from the New Wave days.

However, I have been fully aware of this song by Gary Numan who was part of Tubeway Army initially before going solo. His "Cars" is most likely one of the great anthems of New Wave and synthpop as we were heading into the 1980s with MTV and men wearing cosmetics. Released on August 21st 1979, I've read on the Wikipedia article for Numan's big hit that it was actually born out of a road rage incident that the singer-songwriter had unfortunately gotten himself into in London. That is certainly one example of making a positive out of a negative.

That whole New Wave aesthetic was thoroughly crystallized in my pop cultural self partly because of those amazing thrumming synths and that cover of Numan in suit and eye makeup on the cover of his solo debut album "The Pleasure Principle" which came out in the month following the release of the single. So, it was with YMO on one side of the Pacific and Numan (among other synthpop acts such as Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and the Human League) on one side of the Atlantic that my interest in synthesizer music was piqued.

Along with the music, that video also told me that the music-listening public was headed into a new age with Numan himself looking glacially eerie and slightly alien with those intense hooded eyes and his nasal delivery. I additionally have to note the identical suits (including skinny ties) on the backup musicians (kinda Kraftwerk) and those tube lights. Yep, those were the days!

"Cars" hit No. 1 on Canada's RPM chart and in the UK, while it peaked at No. 9 on America's Billboard. However, Wikipedia has pointed out that "Cars" was his only hit in Canada and the US although he had some more success in the UK. Still, what a song to be remembered for!

Now, just four days following the release of "Cars", it's noted that these two singles in Japan got their due.

Spectrum -- Tomato Ippatsu(トマト・イッパツ)


Chage & Aska -- Hitorizaki(ひとり咲き)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.