Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 6, 2023

The Style Council -- My Ever Changing Moods

 

Doing the Gosanke(御三家) series now for the past several months has made me think about what a hypothetical Western sophisti-pop Gosanke would look like. And yes, indeed I know that there were more than a few 1980s acts amassing jazz, soul and pop as triggered from the whole New Wave thing. But if I had to go with three off the top of my head, they would be ABC, Swingout Sister and this group.

The Style Council shares a little bit of something with The Beatles, The Carpenters and The Ventures in that they may even be more beloved in Japan than in the West. One tune of theirs, "Shout to the Top", was used as the theme song for a Fuji-TV weekday morning information show for years and years. And if I'm not mistaken, "My Ever Changing Moods" (which I like even better) was used in a commercial over in Japan.

"My Ever Changing Moods" was released sometime in 1984 and it's one of those songs that can be compared with chewing gum that never gets old or stale. The flavour has still remained and it's a joy to listen to each time. Although the lyrics (and music) by lead vocalist Paul Weller (love his breathy soul) make some veiled mention to the darkening global political climate, the song has always had that cool and jaunty and cheerful old-timey arrangement (a tribute to The Classic IV's "Stormy" according to Thomas McLean) that matches the bike race between two buddies in the music video. The message in that video seems to be stating: "Yeah, the world may be going to Hell in a hen basket, but at least the two of us can enjoy a pleasant ride in our neighbourhood. Maybe hit the pub later on?".

While "My Ever Changing Moods" hit No. 42 on the Canadian charts, it got even higher in America as it tagged in at No. 29. In the UK, it peaked at No. 5. I couldn't find out when exactly the song was released aside from the year, but the source album "Café Bleu" was released in March 1984. So what was hitting the Top 10 on Oricon that month? I have Nos. 1, 2 and 4.

1. Anzen Chitai -- Wine-Red no Kokoro (ワインレッドの心)

2. Seiko Matsuda -- Rock n' Rouge


4. Alfee -- Hoshizora no Distance (星空のディスタンス)

2 comments:

  1. If you like The Style Council, have you heard Weller's earlier band, The Jam?

    Town Called Malice, in Billy Elliott (1:44 in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7yjqSTwuA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jim. Like a lot of sophisti-pop acts such as The Style Council, I'd never made the connection with the members' earlier bands and/or their incarnations, so I was always surprised when I did learn that Weller had been part of the mod/punk band The Jam. Although I knew of The Jam, I was never a fan of punk so I didn't listen to them. It was the same thing with Spandau Ballet; I first got to know them when they were in their sleek suits. It wasn't for a few years that I realized their New Romantic roots.

      Thanks for sending me the "Billy Elliott" clip. I remember the phenomenal dance scene by Jamie Bell. I'm certainly glad that the ending was a triumph for Billy.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.