Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 3, 2024

WANDS -- Sekai ga Owaru made wa...(世界が終るまでは…)

From Wikipedia

"Slam Dunk" was never a manga or anime that I got into because I'm not a basketball fan, but I've had a lot of students sing the praises of the franchise in either form. I've seen excerpts from the anime in which the individual players have their own crazy ways of offense and defense including one fellow who can apparently throw up a wall of arms.

Another thing that I didn't know about "Slam Dunk" the anime was that the song "Sekai ga Owaru made wa..." (Until the World Ends...) by the rock band WANDS had been used as its second ending theme. I've heard the song before elsewhere, perhaps on a commercial or on some celebrity karaoke show but didn't know about its connection with "Slam Dunk".

When it comes to WANDS, I'm always reminded of "Sekaijuu no Dare yori Kitto"(世界中の誰よりきっと), their 1992 hit collaboration with singer-actress Miho Nakayama(中山美穂). Perhaps I ought to include "Sekai ga Owaru made wa..." in my memories since it's also been one of their most famous entries in their discography. It was released as their 8th single in June 1994 after which it hit No. 1 for two straight weeks, ending up as the 10th-ranked single of the year. Other accolades that it earned was becoming a million-seller and the Artist Song Award (1989-1999) at the Heisei Anison Awards. As well, "Sekai ga Owaru made wa..." was also a part of that Sunakku Songs(スナックソング)list that I wrote about just a few minutes ago.

The music video for the song was filmed at a hangar at Haneda Airport. The lyrics were by WANDS vocalist Show Wesugi(上杉昇) while the melody was provided by Tetsuro Oda(織田哲郎)with arrangement by Takeshi Hayama(葉山たけし. "Sekai ga Owaru made wa..." can also be found on the band's 4th album "Piece of My Soul" from April 1995 which also hit No. 1 for two weeks in a row and eventually became the 16th-ranked album of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.