Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 11, 2024

TOSHITARO -- Senaka Goshi no Close Game: Behind(背中ごしのクロスゲーム Behind)

 

Yes, Virginia...there used to be commercials for those ancient artifacts known as audiotapes. I used to buy Normal, CrO2 and even Metal, if I felt like grinding the tape heads on my old cassette recorder. And indeed, those television ads were tied up with a lot of pop singers' material back in the day.

One of those songs for the THAT'S brand of cassette tape was "Senaka Goshi no Close Game: Behind" (The Close Game Behind My Back). Considering that the word 「クロス」can be read as either "close" or "cross", I had to take an educated guess as to which word was the one for the title. 

But in any case, I first have to relay Phil Collins and Philip Bailey's message to the singer and composer TOSHITARO: "They want their hit song's intro back!". Yup, I got a lot of "Easy Lover" in the first number of seconds of "Senaka Goshi no Close Game" but thankfully, that was all of the heavy borrowing of the melody which switched into something more crystalline City Pop and rock. You can thank Kenji Omura(大村憲司)for the arrangement and Hiromi Kanda(神田広美)for the lyrics. The song was TOSHITARO's November 1985 single.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.