Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 10, 2024

Sherry Kean -- I Want You Back

 

Hello and welcome back to another article of Reminiscings of Youth where I describe one of my old favourites from Canada, the United States or Great Britain when I was but a (not-so-) wee lad. For this edition, we have some good ol' very 80s Canadiana for you.

I was always hearing Toronto-born Sherry Kean's "I Want You Back" in 1984 on the radio and what stood out to me the most along with the fact that it contained a decade's version of Tropicana music mixed in with the synths was Kean's distinct voice. I can't quite describe it but it has a quality that I think a lot of singers would envy because no one else could emulate it. It's just a shame that "I Want You Back" was the only hit for Kean when it hit No. 19 on the RPM chart.

After a number of months of hearing "I Want You Back" on the radio, I finally got to see Kean in the music video for the song, and once again, I was struck by her distinct beauty. She looked like an 80s version of a 20s flapper girl, and for that matter, she had a passing resemblance to actress/singer Pauley Perrette, aka Abby Sciuto from "NCIS".


According to her Wikipedia profile, Kean made a shift into country music and for the last number of years has been a tour guide at the McCulloch Heritage Centre in Pictou, Nova Scotia.

Now, since I couldn't find out in which month "I Want You Back" was released, let's go with what was being released in October 1984.

Crystal King -- Ai wo Torimodose!! (愛をとりもどせ!!)


ALFEE -- Koibito Tachi no Pavement (恋人達のぺイヴメント)


Kiyotaka Sugiyama & Omega Tribe -- Riverside Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.