Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Michiyo Heike -- Anata no Yume ni Naritai (アナタの夢になりたい)


Michiyo Heike (平家みちよ) is another artist from Hello! Project’s early days I’ve been listening lately. In all honesty, even though I’ve known the girl for some years now, I basically ignored her until now.

The thing is, Michiyo Heike will be forever doomed by one single fact: she actually won the audition where the original Morning Musume (モーニング娘。) members came from. She was the winner, and those five girls were losers. Unfortunately for her, the five girls became hugely famous and her solo career never really took off.

Michiyo Heike’s songs are way different from Morning Musume’s: while the famous aidoru group often sang funky pop tunes, Michiyo’s songs were pure pop-rock, often with emotional choruses, as was the case of her fifth single, “Anata no Yume ni Naritai”, released in February 1999. Moreover, I also hear a synth melody in the background, which is always a plus for me. Well, 90s Japanese pop music without a synth melody wasn’t right.

Although I’m not the biggest fan of this kind of stuff, I quite liked some of Heike’s works. Aside from “Anata no Yume ni Naritai”, other songs such as “Dakedo Aishisugite” (だけど 愛しすぎて), “scene” and “myself” are also strong offers from the girl.

What can I say? As always, prejudices from the past didn’t take me anywhere.

"Anata no Yume ni Naritai" reached #70 on the Oricon charts, selling 3,470 copies. Lyrics were written by Emi Makiho (牧穂エミ), while music and arrangement were done by Hatake (はたけ).

Source: Amazon

3 comments:

  1. The irony was also not lost on me when it came to comparing MM and Heike. The so-called runners-up from that Asayan contest surpassed the so-called winner although Heike got to participate as a general member of the Hello Project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but even Ishibashi and Nakai-kun teased her a lot, especially because she didn't go to Utaban very often (she only showed up in Hello! Project Shuffle, as far as I know). One time they kept asking "Heike who?" and the girl, as shy as possible, explained she was the only soloist from H!P (at the time) and that she actually won the contest. Both guys just ignored her and kept teasing Iida, as usual.

      In the end, I don't think remembers H!P very kindly, because her career was just relegated to a secondary position after Momusu's success. Or she's satisfied. Who knows, right?

      Delete
    2. I've heard that Japanese variety TV is usually scripted right down to the letter so I think Heike was probably well aware of the ribbing that she would get from Ishibashi and Nakai-kun...still, I would have cringed in sympathy for her if I had seen that scene for myself.

      I read on Wikipedia that Heike is now a songwriter for the most part under the name of Michiyo, so I'm hoping that she has become satisfied with her career now.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.