Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Riho Makise/Mariya Takeuchi -- Miracle Love


Riho Makise(牧瀬里穂)is a name that I've only really known through her various commercials. The one that I remember her the most from is the one for Sapporo Beer in the mid-90s.


But the Fukuoka-born Makise was also one of the beau-waiting ladies featured on the series of Xmas Japan Railways commercials with Tatsuro Yamashita's(山下達郎)"Christmas Eve" back in 1989.


And I knew her as well as being one of the many guests/victims on the old Tunnels' variety show.


I actually read through some of those songbooks that came with various issues of "Myojo" and found out that the actress also had her brief period of aidoru singles. Just 5, to be exact, of which her first two were the most successful. Her debut single, "Miracle Love", came out in October 1991 and hit No. 4 on Oricon. Written and composed by Mariya Takeuchi(竹内まりや), my first impression of Makise as a singer isn't that much different from the vocals of the vast majority of aidoru singers who had populated the 1980s. But I do like the Takeuchi melody, especially when the drum and synths pop in at certain points.

The single was also a track on her first of 2 albums, "P.S. Riho" which was released in 1993.


Takeuchi also did her own cover of "Miracle Love" which got out as a coupling song on her 20th single "Manhattan Kiss" in May 1992. And for those who were lucky enough to get the first edition of her 2007 album "Denim", it was also placed on the limited edition "Vintage Denim" bonus CD which came out with the first edition of the album. I think I may have my own copy of "Manhattan Kiss" somewhere in my pile so I'll have to check that one out.

Anyways, the copy above is via Future Funkster Artzie Music.


4 comments:

  1. I thought I had all of Mariya's album tracks. It's too bad that "Miracle Love" was only included in the first edition of the "Denim" album. It would also have been a great track for her album "Request". I don't have any of her singles, as I only started collecting her music in 2017! Thank you for the information on the song, "Miracle Love".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, VK and thanks for your comments.

      Yup, it was a bit frustrating to discover that the first-edition version had all those goodies and I was way too late for the party. But for someone like Mariya, it would just be too tempting for record companies to release the special songs eventually.

      You mention that you started enjoying her music from last year. By chance, did you get hooked from "Plastic Love" at first?

      Delete
  2. Hello! Just want to thank you for providing information on the song "Miracle Love." It's probably one of my favorite Mariya Takeuchi songs (along with "Kokuhaku" and "Single Again"). Thought you'd like to know that this song was used in a 2019 Japanese Drama, One Page Love (https://mydramalist.com/33134-one-page-love), as an ending song. I'm just glad to be able to hear one of my favorite songs used in dramas. Once again, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there. Thanks very much for the additional information on "Miracle Love" since I didn't know about its connection with that drama. All the best!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.