Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 28, 2019

DJ Misoshiru to MC Gohan -- Apron Boy(エプロンボーイ)


Omurice(オムライス)...truly made in Japan. Omelettes? Sure, see 'em all the time. Fried rice? A classic Chinese dish. Ketchup? Without question. But all together? What will the Japanese think of next? I had the above omurice with a special sauce at a restaurant called Pommes in Odaiba back in 2017. I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't had that tonkatsu set some hours earlier in Akihabara.


Just within the last half-hour, I discovered that there was yet another addition to the "Fate/stay night" franchise. Of course, there was the original serious show with some good old-fashioned brutality, but there were also the side shows such as "Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya" with its good dollop of humour, and the totally wacky "Carnival Phantasm". Now, I found out that there was another adjunct to the franchise whose episodes were shown monthly rather than weekly during 2018 (which may be why my anime buddy didn't really cotton onto it) titled "Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan"(えみやさんちの今日のご飯...Today's Menu for Emiya's Family).


Take some of that light-hearted fun from "Prisma Illya" and "Carnival Phantasm" and add a generous heap of the cooking-based anime "Koufuku Graffiti"(幸腹グラフィティ), and you got this show which has Emiya and Archer whipping up scrumptious dishes instead of whipping out weaponry. I was definitely quite impressed with Emiya's approach to toshikoshi soba.


Now, I didn't discover the existence of "Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan" on its own. Actually, I was watching one of KHORnime's latest compilations, coincidentally showing scenes of delectable egg dishes (man, he is detailed!), and of course, he's got catchy anison to begin and end the sequences. That was definitely the case with some of his videos which started with Little Glee Monster's "Seishun Photograph"(青春フォトグラフ). But the latest round of KHORnime's videos has had this cutesy yet funky number introducing things, so once again I got curious.


As it turned out, the number was the opening theme for "Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan" which is how I found out about the anime. "Apron Boy" was created and performed by DJ Misoshiru to MC Gohan(DJみそしるとMCごはん). When I saw the name, I had assumed that this was a duo although I only heard the one female voice, but in actual fact, the name covers the one person whose name hasn't been revealed. Hailing from Shizuoka Prefecture, DJ Misoshiru (for short) is a musician and hip-hop MC who made her debut in 2013 with the album "Mother's Food", and it looks like from her name and the titles of her works, her schtick is food-based songs. Perhaps that would make her somewhat like the "Weird Al" Yankovic of J-Pop?


In any case, I have seen DJ Misoshiru often on weekends on TV Japan with some small segments regarding food and rap. Very cute indeed. Heck, "Apron Boy" would be the sort of music that I would like to make my dinner to...provided that I could make it within two minutes and change.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.