Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Yuiko Tsubokura -- Woman From The Moon


This may just be the thing for a classy Saturday night.


Not sure how much of a fan following singer-songwriter Yuiko Tsubokura(坪倉唯子)has had in the past 30 years or so, but I think she's an underrated treasure. You may have come for "Chibi Maruko-chan"(ちびまる子ちゃん), but you will stay for some of her urban contemporary material such as the cool "Tsukanoma Yotogi Bito"(一瞬夜伽伴侶).

And here is her "Woman From The Moon" from her July 1991 mini-album "I Wanna Be Myself". "Tsukanoma Yotogi Bito" may be on the City Pop side of things, but I think "Woman From The Moon" is a nice slice of American R&B and pop. I envision Los Angeles more than Tokyo when I listen to this soulful tune. Tsubokura composed it while Amy took care of the lyrics. My previous article introduced this album by a woman named Amy but I'm not sure whether that mysterious singer there and the lyricist here are one and the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.