Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Junko Yagami -- Mou Wasuremashou(もう忘れましょう)


Welcome to the first weekend of summer 2019! It's a great day here in Toronto, so I'm hoping that a good lot of us here are soaking up the sun and good weather.


With all of the high-energy music that Junko Yagami(八神純子)has provided us all these decades with my very first entry on her being the spicy Latin "Mizuiro no Ame" (みずいろの雨)and my most recent entry involving her 1985 album "Communication" with the R&B beats, it can be easy to forget that the singer-songwriter is also very capable of giving fans the feels with her balladry.

I received my welcome reminder recently when I heard "Mou Wasuremashou" (Let's Forget), a track from her debut album in June 1978 "Omoide wa Utsukushi Sugite"(思い出は美しすぎて). A ballad about trying to move on from the end of a relationship, depending on the listener's mood at that time, this could spark a quick move to the Kleenex box. Those violins, that oboe and of course, Yagami's alternately tenderhearted and soaring vocals. I guess because of that oboe, I was getting some Carpenters vibes from "Mou Wasuremashou" as well.

Though I did mention how the single "Omoide wa Utsukushi Sugite" fared on Oricon, I haven't done so for the album with the same title. It was a bona fide hit for Yagami, breaking into the Top 10 at No. 5 and not only ending up as the 22nd-ranked album for that year but hanging around for another year to finish 1979 as the 28th-ranked album. A great start to a great career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.