Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Fancy Face Groovy Name -- Love Is Yé-Yé (Looking For My Idol)


Ah, Vie de France...along with kaiten sushi, tonkatsu and a can of Max Coffee, any time I visit my old stomping grounds of Tokyo, I just gotta have some sort of meal at this patisserie chain. Whether it's that fancy hot dog with the ketchup or the really buttery danish, I know that I will be gaining many calories there.


For those fans of Shibuya-kei chanteuses, Kahimi Karie(カヒミ・カリィ)and Takako Minekawa(嶺川貴子), this may make your night. It sure surprised me since I hadn't known that the two of them were actually singing together, however brief the time was.

Back in 1990, at the very beginning of their careers, Karie and Minekawa (under her stage name of Mamene Kirerie) were together as a duo known as Fancy Face Groovy Name. They recorded just one song together titled "Love Is Yé-Yé (Looking For My Idol)" which was created by their genre brethren, Flipper's Guitar, and inserted into a compilation album called "Fab Gear".

I'm not too well versed in the French pop genre of yé-yé, but "Love Is Yé-Yé" strikes me as being the story of Karie and Minekawa as happy-go-lucky teens going through some merry anarchic times in Paris or a particularly bohemian corner of Tokyo. Berets and croissants not included.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.