Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, June 29, 2019

Casiopea/Mondo Grosso -- Dazzling


A grand start to the long weekend today with the sun and heat out there. Teaches me not to wear a black T-shirt out for a walk even in the morning. I may lose an extra few hundred grams here and there which isn't too bad a thing...as long as I stay hydrated. That sangria above would be a very welcome libation at this time.


So, how about the melodic version of sangria then? I bring you fusion band Casiopea's "Dazzling" from their April 1983 album "Photographs". Composed by band leader and guitarist Issei Noro(野呂一生), it fulfills the title quite nicely as a summer tune with plenty of pop and a bit of Latin in there, too. Wouldn't mind being in an al fresco environment sipping on that cocktail while listening to this one.


I've read about the comparisons of "Dazzling" with Patrice Rushen's tour de force "Number One" from 1982, and I'm even more impressed with this song since I read that Rushen was responsible for nearly all or all of the instruments. If Jerry from Come Along Radio hasn't already included "Dazzling" and "Number One" in his videos of comparisons...well, here is another one.


A little over a decade later, groovy unit Mondo Grosso released their self-titled debut album in June 1993 with a cover of "Dazzling". It's got more of a downtown club feeling but with the sound of that vibraphone or similar instrument in there, it even has that sense of nostalgia from decades past with me getting reminded of Lionel Hampton. Still, I like both versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.