Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, June 7, 2019

Stardust Revue -- In The Sun, In The Shade


Didn't touch the blog all yesterday. I was swamped with work and then later on in the evening, the other translators and I had a seasonal get-together at a nice pub with a patio closer to downtown. Pretty nice place, too. It boasts some of the best hamburgers in Toronto, and after having one of their baconburgers, I can absolutely agree. There was also a chocolate Guinness cake for dessert that was very delicious and dense. Even with my colleagues' assistance, I didn't quite finish that.

The important thing, though, is that for the first time, it actually felt like Toronto was finally approaching the hot season. It was sunny and pleasantly cool out there. After what has seemed like an extended winter running over spring to get to summer, all Torontonians are looking forward to a more positive change in the weather.


That's just the introduction I needed to segue into Stardust Revue's(スターダストレビュー)"In The Sun, In The Shade". Although this long-running band has shown its dexterity in providing fun music covering a lot of genres such as pop, AOR and rock, I have to sheepishly admit that the only evidence of Stardust Revue on my shelves until last week was a CD single of their "Kimi no Subete ga Kanashii"(君のすべてが悲しい)that I had bought about 30 years ago.

Ironically enough, that's when "In The Sun, In The Shade" was released as their 7th studio album, back in July 1989. I finally decided to atone for my sins of neglect by purchasing this release on the strength of the thoroughly enjoyable track "Natsu no Jou"(夏の女王)as performed by (now-former) Stardust Revue keyboardist Yasuhiro Mitani(三谷泰弘). My article for that one has a video of "Natsu no Jou" being performed in concert, but here is the original recording.


Listening to "In The Sun, In The Shade", there is that warm feeling of summer approaching and the first track seals the deal. "Brand-New Wind" is some seasonal AOR/pop created by lyricist Shun Taguchi(田口俊)and composer Mitani with some natsukashii synths leading a car drive into southern and warmer climes. And it sounds like Mitani really enjoyed those synths in recording.


"Gekko Ressha"(月光列車...Moonlight Locomotion)takes things back into 50s rock n' roll in feeling if not in instrumentation. I was rather reminded of an old Uniroyal Tire commercial as I was listening to it. Hitoshi Shinohara(篠原仁志)was the lyricist while bassist Kiyoshi Kakinuma(柿沼清史)took care of the music. I like the chorus work here as a couple goes on the train ride of their lifetime.

Vocalist Kaname Nemoto


Vocalist Kaname Nemoto's(根本要)sweet voice comes to the fore with "Be My Lady" which sounds like it was made as a serenade for that sweetheart in the window. This was one of three singles included in the album with "Be My Lady" being the 17th (July 1989) for the band. Nemoto and Mitani composed and arranged this one also as a bit of a 50s/60s tune with Machiko Ryu(竜真知子)providing the words. That arrangement even gives me hints of Eiichi Ohtaki(大瀧詠一).


For a bit of City Pop, there is also "Triste" which was performed and composed by Mitani. Masako Arikawa(有川正沙子), who has had some experience with the urban contemporary side of kayo, wrote the words for love in the metropolis. As Meme Man would say, "Triste" is cool and good. The requisite boppy bass is in there, too.


"Northern Lights ~ Kagayaku Kimi ni"(輝く君に...To Shining You)was Stardust Revue's 15th single from February 1989. Vocalist Nemoto was once again behind the music which reminds me somewhat of the proud rock/pop that Motoharu Sano(佐野元春)was providing in the early 1980s. Ken Takahashi(高橋研), who wrote lyrics for a number of ALFEE songs at around the same time, gave his contributions here about a fellow who's heading up north to convey his feelings for that woman. It sounds like a more proactive and hopeful song about love getting back together than the aforementioned "Kimi no Subete ga Kanashii" ballad of woe.


"In The Sun, In The Shade" managed to break into the Oricon Top 10 by hitting No. 5 on the charts. I'm now happy to say that I finally have my Stardust Revue album, and perhaps next I will go for a general BEST compilation by the band. But even this particular 1989 release gives a fine description of what Nemoto and company have been capable of all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.