Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Yukiko Haneda -- Good Times, Bad Times



I'll be honest here and say that when I first saw that cover of Yukiko Haneda's(羽根田征子)3rd album "Good Times, Bad Times", I could imagine Ms. Haneda muttering "Y'know...you could have called ahead before dropping by."

Embarrassing pulling-her-out-of-the-shower incident aside, the title track from Haneda's July 1997 album is some kind of wonderful. As I mentioned in the first article for her cover of Hiroshi Sato's(佐藤博)"It Isn't Easy", "Good Times, Bad Times" has been lauded by kaz-shin of "Music Avenue" as an AOR masterpiece. Perhaps so, but I think this title track isn't really in the AOR genre. It seems to belong more in the soul ballad arena with slight turns into country and gospel, and it sounds like a number that Quiet Storm diva Anita Baker would have also tackled with aplomb. I really do love those 1980s hit-'em-out-of-the-park love songs, and "Good Times, Bad Times" has that splendid touch of jazz thanks to that sax solo. The last part of the song is especially a Grand Slam, in my humble estimation.

Alas, I couldn't find out who was behind the songwriting for this one but my compliments to the folks involved. Of course, before you decide to visit someone, please call ahead. It'll be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.