Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Mie Takahashi -- Hitoribocchi wa Kirai(ひとりぼっちは嫌い)

 

Noting in my most recent Michiru Kojima(児島未散)article that former 80s aidoru Mie Takahashi(高橋美枝)under her pseudonym of Miki Fuudo(風堂美起)was responsible for the lyrics, I was curious about Takahashi's time as a teenybopper singer.

Well, I tracked down her debut single "Hitoribocchi wa Kirai" (I Hate Being Alone) which was released in November 1983. Written by Takashi Matsumoto(松本隆)and composed by Kazuhiko Matsuo(松尾一彦), the song starts off sounding like a summery tune created by Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎)and throughout its three minutes and nearly forty seconds, it's a pleasant enough aidoru tune but nothing earth-shatteringly remarkable. And I have to admit that Takahashi's voice at the age of 15 perhaps wasn't the greatest fit for an aidoru as one that was a fair bit lower in timbre. Maybe something more in a harder brand of pop or even rock would have been better but I'm just wildly speculating. As such, the highest it got was No. 120 on Oricon.


To be honest, I think she sounds better on the stage with "Hitoribocchi wa Kirai". I'm going to have to look at the rest of her discography to get some wider insights about Takahashi. She only released 5 singles up to late 1985 and never had an album. After retiring from singing, she took on her Miki Fuudo alias to write lyrics.

4 comments:

  1. The B side track, Pinku no Kaban is more interesting in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Thanks for your comment. I see that Haruomi Hosono composed it so my interest is there. What do you find interesting about the song?

      Delete
    2. I think it's purely subjective, but I'm a fan of more upbeat songs. I like the bouncy beats in the background with the strings. Knowing that Haruomi Hosono composed the song makes it even more interesting.

      Delete
    3. Hi again. Perfectly fine with your choice of upbeat songs. It really does have that Hosono quirkiness of the time with some of the chord changes. I'll have to see about covering that B-side sometime soon. Thanks!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.