Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu -- Perfect Oneisan(パーフェクトおねいさん)

 

Seeing that Halloween is just around the corner, I had been wondering whether I could find a Kyary Pamyu Pamyu(きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ)song since she did put out "Crazy Party Night ~ Pumpkin no Gyakushuu"(ぱんぷきんの逆襲)several years ago. And after all, she is one for the cosplay so I thought she's be perfect for at least that aspect of the spooking holiday.

Alas, I couldn't but I got something even better and catchier from KPP on KKP. She's actually released her 5th studio album today titled "Candy Racer"(キャンディーレーサー)and from it, I was able to find this treat called "Perfect Oneisan".

My previous article for Kyary Pamyu Pamyu was for her "Gum Gum Girl"(ガムガムガール)with its dollops of Asian and disco. It is also included alongside "Perfect Oneisan" (Perfect Young Lady) but this particular track here today is influenced more from 80s synthpop and maybe even some Doobie Brothers, and it is also one earworm-y song for a guy like me who grew up to the decade's music. Once again written and composed by Yasutaka Nakata(中田ヤスタカ), I'm not sure why the second word of that title is spelled oneisan(おねさん)instead of how it's usually portrayed in romaji, oneesan(おねさん), aside from the observation that KPP wanted to put an especially cute spin on the pronunciation, although even its hiragana depiction is also different from the usual writing.

But before we end up getting mired in phonetics and semantics, I have to give Nakata my compliments on that amazing percussion and then the synths in the intro before Kyary's cute-as-hell-as-usual vocals take over. As well, that synth interlude in the middle is soaring good! One other thing is the music video itself which is minimalist and epic at the same time. I've ended up watching the video three times now despite all of that repetitive jumping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.