Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, July 1, 2022

J-Canuck's Favourite Junko Yagami(八神純子)Songs

 

Good golly! Where do I begin? It was pretty tough coming up with my favourite Junko Yagami songs even though I'd been thinking about doing this Author's Picks article for a few weeks. There are just so many wonderful creations by her floating about on the Net. It's been a bit of a shock as well because despite the fact that the Author's Picks category has been around for years and I've been very faithful with my love for Yagami, in the ten years of KKP's existence, I hadn't even done an Author's Picks list for the Nagoya-born singer and songwriter. Come to think of it, I have yet to do a Favourite list for the other City Pop Junko: Junko Ohashi(大橋純子). Well, I can get that done next Friday.

In any case, I ended up paring it down to seven choices so these are the biggies for me, and of course for all of them, her voice is all. I know that you Yagami fans out there will have your own picks, but please bear with this middle-aged guy.

(1978) Mizuiro no Ame (みずいろの雨)

You always remember your first, and "Mizuiro no Ame" was my first Junko Yagami song via "Sounds of Japan". That samba rhythm with her incredibly soaring voice. Never heard anyone like that before.

(1980) Purpletown (パープルタウン)You Oughta Know By Now

This was another "Sounds of Japan" highlight and by around this point, anytime that I saw her name on the program's upcoming schedule, I made darn sure that I would be around at home to listen to whatever she had to offer. "Purpletown" is Yagami's disco love for New York City.

(1990) Utsukushii Yokan (美しい予感)

This may be an odd choice, seeing as it wasn't a single but the first track on Yagami's 1990 album "My Invitation", but it is a good tune with a hint of New Jack Swing in its pop and that trumpet solo in the bridge is amazing. Plus, it's been a musical touchstone since I bought the album while I was attending the JET convention in Kobe.

(1983) Tasogare no Bay City (黄昏のBAY CITY)

Yup, when it comes to the City Pop boom in the last few years of the 2010s, I would guess that Junko is to "Tasogare no Bay City" as Mariya is to "Plastic Love". It's definitely her take on a grand night out in the metropolis whether it be Yokohama or Tokyo. Paint the town red with her!

(1980) Be My Best Friend

One of the most relaxing sighworthy songs by Yagami, "Be My Best Friend" is half-bossa, half-AOR goodness, perfect classy accompaniment for a Sunday brunch. I just want to take cleansing breaths when this plays.

(1983) Jealous

One of my recent favourites, the cool-as-anything City Pop arrangement for "Jealous" and Yagami's kittenish vocals make me wonder if the song had ever been used in a TV drama or movie. If it hasn't, maybe there are opportunities.

(1989) Anata wa Shiranai(あなたは知らない)

My compliments to uploader Masahiro Kawanishi who created this little drama to accompany this song from Yagami's "Love Is Gold" album. Of course, there are plenty of great tunes during her R&B period in the latter half of the 1980s, but for me, this one has always stuck out. And there is that nice touch of some beatnik jazz flute into all of that soul.

So these are my seven choices. What would yours be? 

2 comments:

  1. Of the ones that haven't been mentioned, "Polar Star" would definitely be on that list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mike. Agreed on that. One other song that I didn't put up is "Omoide no Screen".

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.