Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 14, 2022

Seri Ishikawa -- SEXY

 

My most recent article for Seri Ishikawa(石川セリ)was a little less than a year ago when I wrote up on her 6th single from April 1976, "Fuwa Fuwa WOW WOW"(フワフワ・WOW・WOW). That was one happy-go-lucky downtown tune, and at the time of writing up that one, I hadn't realized that it was a single because I mentioned in the article that the song was part of her January 1976 sophomore album, "Tokidoki Watashi wa..."(ときどき私は…Sometimes I...).

Well, thanks to a comment in the past 24 hours by one fellow, I was led to the B-side for "Fuwa Fuwa WOW WOW", "SEXY". And this song, which was written and composed by singer-songwriter Itsuro Shimoda(下田逸郎), is a bit more contemplative and, yes, sexy, since his lyrics talk of a couple heading off on that plane to extend their trysting. I'm not sure whether the destination seems to matter since Ishikawa sings about the pair simply enjoying themselves on the mattress.

Shimoda's melody is a gently rocking and folksy one, seemingly designed to either lull one into slumberland or get everyone to do a singalong in a German bar, as disparate as the two settings are. However, as the coda nears, the arrangement almost takes things into a stratosphere-aiming progressive rock mode. Considering the lyrics, I'm wondering whether that might signify a certain climax of sorts. In any case, "SEXY" was also a track on "Tokidoki Watashi wa...".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.