Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, August 6, 2022

Kei Marimura -- Etranger Break(エトランゼ・ブレイク)

 

Never give up on a song. That's what I say to myself whenever I go searching for some of those tunes that I heard decades ago but forgot the titles and singers behind them. I also repeat that mantra for songs which I know well enough on my CD player but for whatever reason had never gotten onto YouTube. And indeed some of them do finally get their debut on the platform and so I can happily write about them.

That is indeed what has happened here tonight. The file for jazz singer/actress Kei Marimura(真梨邑ケイ)already has a few articles on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", but the sole reason that I started it had never appeared on YouTube for years. But earlier in March, uploader Heart Music City put up this particular song from Marimura's November 1985 album "Tiempo De Amor", "Etranger Break", and I am one happy person. I give my thanks to Heart Music City.

Actually, I never purchased the album but my first exposure to Marimura was through "Etranger Break" when it showed up on Volume 2 of the "Good Times Diva" series of female Japanese pop singers (it's the bottom album of the three shown in the thumbnail at the top). It's a lovely and breezy bossa nova tune about forgetting the here and now before taking off for more tropical climes and a relaxing vacation together. The people behind the creation of this lounge chair-worthy tune are three City Pop veterans: lyricist Masako Arikawa(有川正沙子), composer Yasuhiro Abe(安部恭弘)and arranger Makoto Matsushita(松下誠)with that last person having taken care of all of the tracks on "Tiempo De Amor". The wonderful vibes that my first Marimura song evoke is fully deserving of a caipirinha.🍸🍹🍸

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.