Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 5, 2022

Chickenshack -- I'm A Good Girl

 

My most recent Chickenshack article was just a few months ago in March. I wrote about "The Future Funk", a track on the fusion band's 1987 album "Chickenshack III", and boy, it truly was super funky.

Well this time around, I have another track from "Chickenshack III" but this one is a whole lot mellower and worthy of a Corona complete with lemon wedge inside the neck. From the title, "I'm A Good Girl" might sound rather salacious but actually it is a pretty sweet tune created by the late saxophonist Hidefumi Toki(土岐英史)and Maxayn Lewis. Vocalist Michelle Lovett relates the story about a lady having the hots for a particular guy. 

The lyrics might come across as if there should have been a lot of disco funk imbued into the arrangement but the atmosphere is all summer beach patio by a bar; namely I'm getting more Eizin Suzuki(鈴木英人)artwork vibes than anything illustrated in a downtown dance hall. The sunny keyboards and Toki's sax solo enhance that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.