Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Mika Nakashima -- Wish

 

I've been hearing about the manga and the anime "Berserk"(ベルセルク)for years, and in fact, one Sunday years ago, my buddy showed me the first episode of what I think had been the most recent anime series in the mid-2010s...or it could have one of the earlier incarnations. To be honest, for a fellow who prefers his calm and reassuring slice-of-life programs, "Berserk" was a little too berserk for me.

However, having said that, I also admit that the above videos for "Berserk Ougon Jidai Hen Memorial Edition"(ベルセルク 黄金時代篇 MEMORIAL EDITION...Berserk: The Golden Age Arc – Memorial Edition) on television from late 2022 do show a lot of nobility and grandeur. And what takes off the edge even further is Mika Nakashima's(中島美嘉)"Wish" which was released as her 47th single in November last year. Used as the ending theme, "Wish" is quintessential Nakashima: delicate vocals paired with soft piano and sweeping strings from another era. I gather that this would be the song to illustrate William Congreve's famous line, "Music has charms to soothe a savage breast".

"Wish" was written by Nakashima but there were a lot of composers behind the song: Penguins Project, Itsuka, Tatsumi Goda, Gakushi Ogi, MiRai, and Ryo Ito. As far as I know, it hasn't been placed onto any album by Nakashima although I'm pretty sure that it has been included on any soundtrack for "Memorial Edition".

For the music video for "Wish", I really have to admire Nakashima's hairdo which has that look from a century ago. And I had no idea that Chanel produced S&M gear.😉

2 comments:

  1. It has been a while since I have listened to anything by Mika Nakashima. I remember her best for the SONY Hi-MD commercial and the drama NANA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture of the background music is WAAAYYY too busy, but it is good.

    Something of the song makes me think of Baka Mitai. I am not a musician, but I think they use similar chord changes or intervals in part of the melody.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.