Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 26, 2023

GWINKO -- Kiss Kiss Kiss

 

We have some more of the Okinawan dynamo who went by the name GWINKO when she was singing in the late 1980s. From her September 1987 debut album "Yesterday, Today, Forever", this is "Kiss Kiss Kiss" by the teenage R&B singer.

Written by Ichiko Takehana(竹花いち子)and composed by Masatoshi Nishimura(西村麻聡), I have to apologize in advance if I don't have my R&B sub-genres accurate here, but I'm considering "Kiss Kiss Kiss" as an early form of New Jack Swing with some Prince-ly funk and maybe even some Janet Jackson attitude. Regardless, the nostalgia waves are flowing in loud and clear here. 

I don't think that I ever put up this piece of trivia regarding GWINKO but according to J-Wiki, she was one of the first graduates of the Okinawa Actors' School which was founded in 1983 to make it big in show business. Afterwards, Namie Amuro(安室奈美恵), the group SPEED and Da Pump made their own mark in music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.