Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Chage and Aska -- Boku wa Kono Hitomi de Uso wo Tsuku(僕はこの瞳で嘘をつく)

 

I kinda feel like putting a swift Chage up my Aska for not putting this Chage and Aska song up on the blog after nearly a dozen years of KKP's existence.

For one thing, "Boku wa Kono Hitomi de Uso wo Tsuku" (I'll Lie to You with These Eyes) is the veteran duo's 28th single from November 1991 and it shares track space on their October 1991 album "TREE" with their hit 27th single, "Say Yes" which ended up as the 2nd-biggest single of the year. For another thing, "Boku wa Kono Hitomi de Uso wo Tsuku" is in a tie with "Say Yes" as the two tracks that I know best on "TREE".

With words and music by Ryo Aska(飛鳥涼), the song could almost be a TV drama on its own as the singer-songwriter explains that it's about a guy who feels that he has to be cruel to be kind to a woman to save her from any further damage. For me, it was the first track on "TREE" and I could have used this song to help me stay up on those university nights when I had to pull off some massive all-nighters. Chage and Aska really go into exhortation mode here and the warp-powered music really whipped me into inspiration territory.

Yeah, it has had that effect on me that Shuzo Matsuoka(松岡修造)has on everyone! Contact Admiral Hansen at Starfleet Command! I have now engaged the Borg!

All joking aside, it is a pretty heart-thumping tune. The single with all of its horns and smashing percussion reached No. 1 on Oricon and ended up as the 19th-ranked song for 1992, going Double Platinum and selling a little more than 800,000 copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.