Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 19, 2023

Eva Marie & Saints -- I Love the Sunshine

 

Several years ago, I wrote on the early 1970s aidoru group Golden Half  (ゴールデン・ハーフ) whose members were of mixed parentage. One of the members, Eva Maria Vasquez, was born in Nagano Prefecture and she had a Spanish father and a Japanese mother. Once the group broke up in 1974, Vasquez continued on as a solo singer and a tarento on television.

At one point, Vasquez was either in a group or simply called herself Eva Marie & Saints(エバ・マリー&セインツ), probably as a cute shoutout to the Hollywood actress Eva Marie Saint. In 1980, she released a single titled "I Love the Sunshine" which was written by Machiko Ryu(竜真知子)and composed by Yuuichiro Oda(小田裕一郎). Despite the disco rhythm underneath, I'm not quite sure whether I would put this in the City Pop category. It just seems to hew a little closer to the aidoru side of things.

Following a pretty dreary April, May has been a pleasant month filled with sunshine and even some torrid temperatures. We can all agree that we love our sunshine.

4 comments:

  1. Sigh... The video has been disabled already. Is there any other way to hear this for free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Brian. Are you not able to watch it in Japan? Over here, I just have that "Playback on other websites disabled by the video owner. Watch on YouTube" message.

      Delete
  2. I live in America. Maybe that is the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies here. I had you mistaken for another commenter, Brian Mitchell. I've had videos blocked because I live in Canada.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.