Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, April 15, 2024

Tadao Inoue & 5110 Band -- Cherry-Pink to Kawaii Olive(チェリーピンクとかわいいオリーブ)

 

I think the above was my Rum & Coke made by the robot bartender on the Harmony of the Seas back in 2017. In retrospect, I don't think it was the right cocktail to challenge the robot on since with a Rum & Coke, it's simply rum and Coca-Cola with none of that shaking needed. But on the other hand, I didn't want to look like Jabba the Hutt in front of my own family because I drank something that was way above my punching level. 

My memories to you are going to go back even further now when I mention Perez Prado's "Cherry-Pink and Apple Blossom-White" from 1955. It's a familiar song by the King of Mambo because it was on that RCA compilation record collection that we got with our huge stereo. Yup, that trumpet does it for me.

Not sure whether the late singer-songwriter Tadao Inoue(井上忠夫)had found inspiration from Prado's magnum opus to create "Cherry-Pink to Kawaii Olive" (Cherry-Pink and Cute Olive) which was the B-side to his 1980 single "Aa, Kimi wa Subete ga Atarashii"(ああ、君はすべてが新しい...Ahh, Everything About You is New). At first, I was a little confused when I heard it. It's certainly a happy tropical margarita of a song with Inoue throwing out the cocktails like Tom Cruise's drinks in "Cocktail" (yes, there was a time when he wasn't Ethan Hunt), but Inoue liberally throws out the title of Side A as part of the lyrics in this song, which had me wondering whether YouTuber Crescent Moon had made a mistake in identifying the song. Yes, I had thought it was "Aa, Kimi wa Subete ga Atarashii" and not "Cherry-Pink to Kawaii Olive" but when I checked out the single's original liner sheet on Google, I could confirm that the song I heard was indeed the B-side and not the A-side. Inoue apparently really enjoyed that title "Aa, Kimi wa Subete ga Atarashii" so much that he was more than happy to sling it around on both sides.

The single was recorded as the final one of four releases in 1979 and 1980 under the name of Tadao Inoue & 5110 Band(井上忠夫と5110・BAND). Reiko Yukawa(湯川れい子)provided the lyrics for "Cherry-Pink to Kawaii Olive" while Tadashige Matsui(松井忠重)arranged Inoue's melody. This record would be the final one for the singer to record under his real name of Tadao which he had used since his days with the Group Sounds band Jackey Yoshikawa and his Blue Comets(ジャッキー吉川とブルー・コメッツ). From 1981, he would release his material under the name Daisuke Inoue(井上大輔).

2 comments:

  1. I have been away from the net for a few days but in my absence, you have been very industrious! I am doing my best to read through every one of your recent posts! Well, today's post is interesting! The picture of the robot created Rum & Coke and the story that went a long with it was entertaining. Today's song is charming and topical. It is kind of timeless in away, as it is hard to tell when it was created just by listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm always going to be putting up my two articles at least on a daily basis. Thanks very kindly for the comments. :)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.