Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, September 30, 2024

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts -- I Love Rock 'n' Roll

 

Happy Monday! Today is a statutory holiday here in Canada known as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, and as is KKP custom, we have a special Monday edition of Reminiscings of Youth.

When I first saw the music video for Joan Jett & the Blackhearts' iconic "I Love Rock 'n' Roll", it was probably through Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" show which I often saw on the weekends. And I got to see it a lot because it was such a hit; the US Billboard chart had it at the top spot (just like in Canada) for seven weeks in a row after its release in January 1982. What stood out for me was that Jett was a lady who looked like she could not only rock hard but could literally rock an opponent hard with her fists and/or her guitar, so I put her alongside the intimidating Pat Benatar. As well, "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was pure unadulterated hard guitar rock with no jazz or pop mixed in, which was during a time filled with plenty of synthesizers. "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" ended up as the No. 3 song of the year in America and certified Platinum.


As with a number of songs that I've covered in ROY articles over the past few years, I...along with a number of other commenters...am once again surprised to hear that Jett's hit is actually a cover version of an original "I Love Rock 'n' Roll". The British rock band The Arrows released this song back in July 1975 and there really isn't much of a difference in the arrangement. It was also a hard and pulsing rock tune back then as well.

Interestingly enough, the following three Japanese singles were released on the same day: January 21st 1982.

Yoshimi Iwasaki -- Aishite Mon Amour(愛してモナムール)


Southern All Stars -- Chako no Kaigan Monogatari (チャコの海岸物語)


Seiko Matsuda -- Akai Sweet Pea (赤いスイートピー)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.