Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, September 8, 2024

Bin Uehara & His Fan Club (上原敏とその集い)


Mata kimashita yo, Bin-san. Genki ni shiteimashitaka?

In July 2023, I went to Odate, Akita, to pay my respects to Bin Uehara (上原敏) on my own. In July 2024, I went to see Bin-san again, but this time, it was with the Uehara Bin Tsudoi (上原敏集い)

I was actually moderately on the fence about heading to Akita again for summer vacation this year for the Ruten Ki (流転忌). As much as I love Bin-san, it was, admittedly one of those soft "Yeah, I'll do it," situations, mainly because I've just been going to Tohoku so much and I'd been wanting to explore different parts of Japan. But as July 2024 drew nearer and having Bin-san grinning at me from my shelf, the idea of heading up north again became more tangible. And then came an update about the memorial and the Tsudoi's festivities from history researcher who'd done work on Bin-san, Yuta Inoue (井上裕太). Seeing that the memorial would start at 10 am, in other words, attendable if I stayed in Akita City or Aomori, and knowing that there are post-memorial activities, I knew I had to go. Or, rather, it cemented my resolve to go. 

"Oiwake Dochu" (追分道中) (1939)

And so, immediately after a movie-music event, I headed up to Tohoku once again. Actually, I even had to leave earlier, otherwise I'd miss my train... Oh, Bin-san, what I'd do for you.

Y'know, I'd chosen to stay in Hirosaki, Aomori, for its closer proximity to Odate - besides also wanting to see the famed Nebuta Festival, of course. I took one of the early trains and reached Odate station from Hirosaki on the morning of 29th of July with ample time to spare. But sometimes, things just don't work out as planned. Bus mix-ups and rain happened, so by the time I reached Keijo Park, it was about 10 minutes past 10 am. In other words, the Ruten Ki with its sing-a-longs just ended... I won't let myself live this down, but, there's always a next year. Bin-san, ireisai ni okurete gomenasai.

"Ruten" (流転) (1937)
I know "Ruten" is the theme for the memorial, but I didn't need a ruten experience of my own...

Mishaps aside, I still got to meet the wonderful Uehara Bin Tsudoi and its members. Leading the Get-Together was Matsuyama-san, a former high school English teacher, at a spritely 84 years-old. There were about 6 or so other members who'd been in the club since its establishment in the 1980s who showed up. As expected, most members were pushing or over 85. However, there were a few members who managed to bring the average age down a little by being below the age of 45. Besides Inoue-san, there was also Ogawa-san, both of whom I mostly knew as online presences - it was great to finally see them in the flesh and put faces to the names. But what surprised me the most was the attendance of Muroya-san, who was the same age as me and highly knowledgeable about Bin-san's discography. This was apparently his first appearance at the memorial as well.

"Toori Ame no Uta" (通り雨の唄) (1939)
It was raining in Odate and I'd mentioned rain songs, so Muroya-san recommended this. I ended liking this a lot.

Besides the Bin-san Tsudoi members, in attendance were also a couple of members of the from Bin-san's senior Taro Shoji's (東海林太郎) fan club, and Taro-san's museum chief Sasaki-san. It was an honor to be in the presence of not just the Bin-san club, but even the Taro-san one.

"Shunkoden" (春香伝) (1939)

After the self-introductions and news press interactions, it was time to pack up and begin the post-memorial events. As with this sort of memorials, Bin-san was showered with sake and beer (I read that he loved his alcohol), as well as some snacks on on the side. On top of that were a few bouquets of flowers. To not let these items go to waste, they were split among the members. I got one of the bouquets. Ordinarily, it's you who's supposed to bring the flowers for the dearly departed not receive them when you go to memorials. Plus, it was pretty obvious that the bouquet I received was one meant as grave visitation offerings (chrysanthemums). But I found that to be highly amusing. More than anything, though, I loved it very much. Why? Because I took it as Bin-san's way of showing his appreciation for visiting him again. A bouquet from him. Making that "Bin-san is my Muryu-sama" fantasy of mine a reality, HUH?

Sadameshi kimi wa tada hitori

Anyways, the post-Ruten Ki events included a visit to the next door Akita Dog Museum, followed by around of karaoke at a local karaoke box. I have to say, meeting fans of a singer you love IRL is one thing, but singing his songs with them is another. It was absolutely surreal when every single song was more a group sing-a-long than an intimidating solo. There was this member, this sweet and chatty grandpa (I am so sorry, but I forgot his name), whose favourite Bin-san tune was "Hatoba Katagi" (波止場気質). That also happened to be my favourite Bin-san tune. So, we sang it together, which was wild because I'd yet to meet someone who liked "Hatoba Katagi" and had bittersweet memories tied to it until that moment.

Namaji kakeru na usu nasake
Yume mo wabishii yoru no hana ~

Considering it was just a standard karaoke machine, Bin-san only had six songs in the system (including two duets). So, after Bin-san's numbers, there were some Taro-san tributes as well, and even an Akita prefecture anthem (??) But there was still some time remaining before lunch. I had made it clear early on that while I love Bin-san, Hachiro Kasuga (春日八郎) is my main priority. The folks promptly registered that information and I was encouraged to do some Hachi numbers: "Otomi-san" (お富さん) and "Uramachi Yakyoku" (裏町夜曲). That was my first time being a Hachi ambassador, if you will, at such a music gathering and that was absolutely surreal.

When all was sung and done, it was time to adjourn for lunch. I went with a katsu don. Katsu don is generally uncharacteristic choice for me, but it's something I choose once in a blue moon for maximum energy replenishment, which I needed after the morning I'd had. This wasn't just a regular katsu don, though. It was Hinai Chicken (Hinai Jidori) katsu don... So, basically some chunky fried native Odate chicken slathered in sweet-savory egg. Bin-san looks like he approved of the choice.  

While it had been an incredibly fun morning of activities, after lunch was where things took on a more serious tone as the future of the club was brought to the table. A reason why I wanted to partake in the posthumous club's activities was to experience how these clubs functioned and better understand the problems they face in the new decade. The post-lunch meeting very clearly showed me that.

It was obvious from the few members in attendance, but membership of the Uehara Bin Tsudoi and its nationwide branch has been steadily shrinking. This is due in part to the members getting on in their years. Many have already left the mortal coil, or find it increasingly difficult to attend the Ruten Ki because of their age. As is, Matsuyama-san also admitted that it's getting harder for him to take charge of the festivities. And so, much of the responsibilities has also been shouldered by the much younger Inoue-san, who'd been in the club for quite some time.

"Otoko Hare Sugata" (男晴れ姿) (1941)

Also, Bin-san has been gone for 80 years at the writing of this article and had a short career of eight years with comparatively fewer objects to remember him by. The passing of time thus making it more and more difficult to keep him relevant in current society. Inoue-san's research on Bin-san's and Taro-san's club activities, as well as his efforts to spread the awareness of these clubs via social media and the local press, and wrangling up us young fans, has been to ensure the survival of not just these clubs. It was also to also ensure that the achievements of these singers who contributed much to the world of Japanese pop music will not be forgotten. Still, it is an uphill task, and various methods of club survival and Bin-san awareness were discussed. I personally liked the Bin-san portrait plus QR codes of his background and hits at Odate station (or maybe the Akita Dog visitor center) idea.

But, despite the gloom and the worry over Uehara Bin Tsudoi's future activities, Grandpa Hatoba Katagi said something that tugged at my heartstrings. It went something along the line of:

It doesn't matter if there are activities organised after the memorial. I will still go to [Keijo Park] every year on this day to pay my respects to [Bin-san]. Having activities isn't that important - I just want to be able to see everyone. The activities aren't a must. I'll just be happy to see if everyone's doing well.

My professor at school mentioned that music plaques (in Okinawa) have the capability to facilitate community building, among other uses. Going by Grandpa Hatoba Katagi's words and having now experienced the Tsudoi's activities firsthand, I believe Bin-san's plaque serves the same purpose. I believe that, on top of preserving the memory of the long-deceased but well-loved singer, the Get-Together brings people together. Not just long-time fans and folks who grew up with the music, but new fans, younger fans in search of a community built around an artist who plays a big role in their lives.

I cannot thank the Uehara Bin Tsudoi for allowing me to join their activities and Inoue-san for spreading the word and the invitation. If you're wondering, yes, I did become a member of the Uehara Bin club. The entry procedures were easy: Just say that you are a member of the club, and there you go - Bin-san club member.

"Hatoba Katagi" (1938)

This year, Bin-san had two fans below the age of 30 visiting him. This is despite the fact that that he had been gone for 80 years. I would like to think that he is happy, where ever he is.

Honni ano (hito) no shiawase wo
Ureshi namida de inoru no sa

P.S. I'd wanted to get this out on Bin-san's birthday (26th August), but I ended up not finding the time to do so... Because I was at Kasai Rinkai Koen looking at fish and doing oshikatsu instead. Also, that photo card was made by none other than PC maker Ms. C.


Happy belated 116th, Bin-san!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Noelle. Thanks again for another Sites article. I think you're probably the only one of us right now who can do these articles. Unless I do one for the local Japanese-Canadian Cultural Centre when a major celebrity is singing there, I don't think I'll have much luck here.

    That was rather funny and poignant getting that bouquet of flowers. If I got something like that suddenly, I'd probably snark "Look, I know that I'm not the most exciting of people, but...". As for the follow-up karaoke visit, were the members of the Tsudoi impressed by your ability to sing Bin's songs?

    I understand the situation with the Tsudoi since our local chapter of the Wakayama Kenjinkai has been shrinking for the same reasons. There is some hope in that a few of the next generation have joined, though. By the way, Hirosaki is a favourite place by my anime-loving friend since one of his beloved programs, "Flying Witch", is set in that city. Great apple pies there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck. Actually, I think a piece on the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre would be interesting. It'd be nice to see who performs there, or what sort of activities they do.

      For the bouquet - honestly - one of the top highlights of the trip. I wouldn't have expected my first bouquet of flowers to be of that variety, but if it's coming from Bin-san, who am I to complain, haha! For the karaoke, weirdly enough, it felt like the folks were more stunned to hear me sing Hachi's songs than Bin-san's.

      Is the Wakayama Kenjinkai a Japanese culture club in Toronto?

      As for Hirosaki, I have never seen a place so aggressively themed around apples and apple pie until now. They even have an apple pie map that shows you dozens of stores selling apple pie throughout the city. I went to one of those recommended spots, the Taisho Roman Tea Room, and even there they had a wide variety of apple pies. As someone who loves (apple) sweets, it's truly the best town.

      Delete
    2. Well, maybe I can swing around to the JCCC...it's not too far away by public transit.

      The Wakayama Kenjinkai is a social organization representing any Japanese-Canadians whose ancestry goes back to Wakayama Prefecture, so my parents hail from there originally. I think Wakayama has the largest representation of Japanese-Canadians, followed by those in Shiga Prefecture. They do things like annual parties and karaoke gatherings.

      My friend also has that map of apple pie cafés. I wouldn't mind going there myself. Apparently, one magazine even called Hirosaki one of the up-and-coming cities in the world to visit. Hopefully, it hasn't gotten a case of overtourism, though.

      Delete
    3. That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought much of the Japanese-Canadian population hailed from Wakayama and Shiga. Here's to hoping that the association will continue for a long time to come.

      When I was in Hirosaki, it didn't seem too crowded despite being the start of the Nebuta festival and near Obon. Many of its attractions felt spread out, so even if there were many visitors, it didn't feel like I had to jostle with anyone. But I reckon it'll be a different story in spring and autumn, since Hirosaki Castle is known for its sakura and autumn foliage.

      Speaking of Hirosaki Castle, I actually heard Hachi's "Ah, Hirosaki Jo" during Hirosaki's Nebuta festival (Neputa). Turns out that the Hirosaki branch of the JSDF uses it as the BGM to their kenbu performance right before their float shows up. Hearing a go-touchi song I barely knew about by the Fukushima-born singer at a traditional Aomori festival was... strange, but in a good way.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.