Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 8, 2021

Bananarama -- I Heard A Rumour

 

"Venus" might be the calling card for Bananarama, that dance-pop trio from the 1980s, but for me, my favourite song by Sara Dallin, Siobhan Fahey and Keren Woodward has been "I Heard A Rumour" released on June 29, 1987.

Created by Bananarama and the Eurobeat machine of Stock, Aitken and Waterman (which always sounded like some legal firm), it got plenty of airplay on radio, music video shows and dance floors. In fact, I remember when "I Heard A Rumour" blasted on the speakers in a university facility that the Japanese-Canadian Students' Association rented for one of their dance parties. Not surprisingly, everyone flooded the floor. The music was all sparkly, classy and so wonderfully 80s synthy.

The music video for "I Heard A Rumour" was plenty fun to watch too, as the ladies decided to play dress-up. It just added to the enjoyment for all of the young dancers in the clubs. And it was catchy enough that I ended up buying the remix LP...that is hiding somewhere around here. In any case, the song hit No. 2 on the RPM Singles chart in Canada and No. 4 on the US Billboard Top 100.

So what Oricon hits were at No. 1, No. 5 and No. 7 for July 1987?

1. Shonentai -- Kimi Dake ni (君だけに)

5. Yoko Oginome -- Sayonara no Kajitsutachi (さよならの果実たち)

7. Miho Nakayama -- 50/50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.