Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Tomoko Koyano -- Ame(雨)


Not so happy soppy Saturday! One Canadian's Twitter feed (I'm assuming that he/she lives in my neck of the woods) wondered very loudly about how a very frigid middle of the week can end up becoming like spring today, but with a potential Noah's Ark-like storm on the way. All I can say is that this is just Toronto...predictably unpredictable weather. We've got rain right now and then it'll all turn into sleet and maybe even snow later tonight which could wreak havoc on the power lines. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the infrastructure stays intact.


As such, I figured that I should start off with something appropriately meteorologically thematic so I found this debut single by singer-songwriter Tomoko Koyano(古谷野とも子)called "Ame" (Rain). Now, for folks who have already taken a gander at the Koyano file including my last entry "Kyo mo Kita wa"(今日も来たわ), I've only covered her late 1970s City Pop material.

"Ame" itself was released in 1974 and it goes more along the lines of how Koyano began her career, which was as a folk singer. However, I think with "Ame", which was written and composed by her, there's quite a bit more dramatic sturm und drang in the arrangement (especially that spooky keyboard...was Isao Tomita involved?) and in her delivery which almost sounds as if she's on the verge of tears. Nope, it's definitely not a happy tune by any means, but I think it does reflect a lot of Torontonians' feelings on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.