Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 6, 2020

Tomoko Tane -- You're The One


Indeed, it's been quite a few years since singer-songwriter Tomoko Tane(種ともこ)has been back up in the annals of "Kayo Kyoku Plus". Going over her epic "Mermaid in Blue" yesterday rather reminded me that I ought to include her again.


For the comments under "Mermaid in Blue", nikala and I were chatting about the fact that Tane had also created some happy-go-lucky tunes. One that I discovered was her self-penned debut single "You're The One" from December 1985. The actual music video for that song has a distinct introduction in that Tane herself provides a brief story in English on how her family first earned that family name in the form of a children's tale in a "Momotaro" style.

Then "You're The One" has her bouncing around and singing in a manner that reminds me of the super-genki EPO and Misato Watanabe(渡辺美里), an observation that I also said to nikala in the comments. Seeing the scenes of her on stage, I got nostalgic and said to myself that yep, they actually dressed up that way over 30 years ago.

According to J-Wiki, "You're The One" was used as the campaign song for All Nippon Airways Ski Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.