Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, January 30, 2021

Sayaka Kushibiki -- I'll be there

 


Almost two years ago, I wrote about singer-songwriter Sayaka Kushibiki's(櫛引彩香)1999 debut single "Itsumo no Kibun de"(いつもの気分で), a Tomita Lab-assisted creation, perfect for listening in a trendy café on a sunny weekend afternoon. 


Then I found out about the title track for Kushibiki's 3rd album in April 2004 "I'll be there". Written and composed by her, the video and the totally English lyrics give an autobiographical account of her dreams of getting out of her hometown of Mutsu in Aomori Prefecture to make something out of herself. She was obviously successful but there also seems to be an admission and a realization that a cost was paid to achieve her goals. 

That sentiment resonates me with me as well to a certain extent. But from Kushibiki's melody, it all feels quite lighthearted as if she's looking back and also realizing that she's learned from the experience with things being rather copacetic now. Hopefully, the singer has been able to visit Mutsu frequently over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.