Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, March 1, 2021

Mr. Children -- Hikari no Atelier(ヒカリノアトリエ)

 


For NHK asadora fans, this may not be something that you want to read here, but the last time that I actually watched the usual 8:00~8:15 am morning serial drama (via TV Japan) was almost ten years ago with "Ume-chan Sensei"(梅ちゃん先生). I thought that "Ume-chan Sensei" was a bit more down-to-earth than usual and therefore easier to watch for me, especially since the setting was in the postwar years when Japan was starting to rehabilitate itself.

So usually when the asadora comes on, I usually retreat back to my room...ostensibly to start up on another KKP article. However, I am aware about what asadora is happening at the time. For example, I do recall this particular morning serial on NHK from a few years ago called "Beppin-san"(べっぴんさん)that ran between 2016 and 2017. If I'm not mistaken, it told the story of a young girl who grows up during the key decades of Japan in the 20th century to become a famous apparel maker.


The other thing I remember is the theme song by Mr. Children, "Hikari no Atelier" (Atelier of Light). Kazutoshi Sakurai(桜井和寿), who wrote and composed the song, and his band have straddled the line between rock and pop, and this time, I think it's safe to say that "Hikari no Atelier" is fully in the pop genre. And just from listening to the melody, it's made perfectly for an NHK asadora since it's so bouncy and cheerful. Along with the regular members, accordionist Koharu(小春)from the sister duo Charan-Po-Rantan(チャラン・ポ・ランタン)contributes her talents as well.

My compliments to the music video with its unique puppetry skills on display. "Hikari no Atelier" was released as Mr. Children's 36th single in January 2017. It hit No. 1 to later become the 37th-ranked single of the year, going Gold in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.