Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Monday Michiru -- Selections '97-'00

 

It's a Sunday but I think I'm going to write about Monday instead. To be specific, I'm writing about singer-songwriter Monday Michiru(Monday満ちる), the daughter of jazz legend Toshiko Akiyoshi(穐吉敏子)and alto saxophonist Charlie Mariano. The first time I posited an article about the Tokyo-born Monday Michiru Mariano was for the dance-worthy "You Make Me", her 3rd single from July 1998.

I also mentioned in that article that I had purchased her BEST compilation "Selections '97-'00" but aside from "You Make Me", the songs didn't quite grab me at the time. Well, it's been a few years so I did give the album another spin and this time, there were some more tracks that finally sank a few claws into me. But first, here's the lineup.

1. Chasing After The Sun (Barefoot 'n' Pregnant Version)

2. Play It By Ear

3. Fallin' (Indian Summer Mix)

4. Emerald Life (Nunca Tan Fermosa Cosa Vido)


6. Chances

7. Full Bottle of Soul

8. Do It Again

9. Thinking of You

10. Stop n' Listen

11. Far To Go

12. Suspirar



The first track is "Chasing After The Sun (Barefoot 'n' Pregnant Version)", a single that came out in June 2000 that is just darn deserving of a caipirinha and a sun hat. The Latin rhythms fairly tickle the ear and give a sense of summer relaxation although I wouldn't say that it is a totally languid ballad. It's also included in Monday's December 2000 album "4 Seasons". I also found the Joe Claussell Mix which boosts the tempo a good notch.


From the singer's 1999 album "Optimista" is "Emerald Life (Nunca Tan Fermosa Cosa Vido)" which sounds like the ultimate samba party coming through the headphones. Monday came up with the music while James P. Vyner provided the lyrics. When I first started this article, I had initially jotted down "R&B singer-songwriter Monday Michiru" but on listening to "Emerald Life", I realized that I would have done her a disservice by just pegging her within one genre. There is club music, Latin and even some jazz milling about in this six-minute-and-change festival, and among the party chorus listed, Mondo Grosso himself, aka Shinichi Osawa(大沢伸一), and another wonderful singer, bird, are in there with the chants and whoops.


"Chances" from "4 Seasons" is a number that has more of that sophisticated jazz that could have been inserted into one of those 1960s spy caper movies...the one with a Henry Mancini soundtrack. Perhaps that's exaggerating things a tad, but if there were ever a cover done of "Chances", I think Swingout Sister would be the ideal group behind it. Then again, when I hear the chorus work near the end of "Chances", I also wonder about Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66 as well.


"Stop n' Listen" is a short-and-sweet bossa nova tune just for "Selections '97-'00" telling folks in song to just slow down, breathe, and have some satisfying gulps of coffee. And it makes that clear by not nearly overstaying its welcome and finishing up at well under 3 minutes, still plenty of time to have that warm trombone solo.


One more song from "Selections '97-'00" is "Far To Go" which also comes from "Mermaid", and from the bluesy jazz/soul/club feeling, I think this could be something that Swingout Sister could tackle as well. But that's nothing against Monday Michiru who sings this with caressing aplomb, and "Far To Go" can be that pleasant chill-down song at home on a Sunday afternoon which, to remind readers, is when I'm writing this.


I was able to find a very brief video titled "Jazz Conversations" which has mother and daughter working together in the recording booth. Anyways, I've had a change of heart for "Selections".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.