Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, March 7, 2021

KRYZLER & KOMPANY -- Haru(春)

 

Indeed, we are all waiting for spring...especially this year. It looks like Tokyo has been enjoying some cherry blossoms in places such as Ueno Park although folks still can't spread out the blue sheets and enjoy a picnic there because of COVID, but I'm hoping that this will be the final time for this situation. Perhaps in 2022, things will be back to normal.

During the interview on "Tokyo House Party", I didn't get a chance to talk about it but if there had been some extra time, I would have explained a bit about that 1981 summer trip to Japan which totally changed my life because of all of the fascinating things which I saw and experienced, and that included the five days that we spent in Tokyo. One example was touring the Toshiba Science Centre with one of the exhibits being a light and laser music show with the music being a technopop version of Vivaldi's famous "Spring"...and the conventional version is something that you can hear above.

Of course, having become a recent convert to music in general but particularly within the technopop genre thanks to Yellow Magic Orchestra, I was awestruck by a techno version of "Spring", a song that I had already known quite well because of how often it was being played on TV and radio back then.

Well, I've found another cool and funky version of "Haru" which is the Japanese expression for Vivaldi's "Spring", and there's enough in the bloops and bleeps in there that I also think that it's fairly technopop, too. This time, this cover is provided by the classical pop string trio KRYZLER & KOMPANY, and to use one of Rocket Brown's favourite expressions, it indeed cooks happily. "Haru" belongs to the trio's 1991 2nd album "KRYZLER&KOMPANY #" which also contains their take on "Beautiful Dreamer", a song which I already wrote about earlier.

K&K's "Haru" does feel like a roller-coaster ride through Tokyo and just like for those amusement park ride enthusiasts (of whom I am not), it's a pity when it abruptly ends at just under 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.