Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, November 6, 2021

Chiaki Ishikawa -- Uninstall(アンインストール)

 

Back when we were in university, there were at least some of us who were collecting comics with me being the "X-Men" guy. One of my other friends though was more into the unconventional although the comics still involved superheroes. I remember that one series that he was into was called "Strikeforce: Morituri" in which a conveyor belt of recruits would undergo a process to become imbued with superpowers for about a year so that they can battle alien invaders. However, there is no huge financial winfall, no parting gift, and not even a hearty handshake at the end of that year. Nope, at the end of the year, the heroes die...no exceptions. Not even dental.

"Strikeforce: Morituri" was what I was reminded of when I finally found out what the premise of the April 2007 anime adaptation of the manga "Bokura no"(ぼくらの...Ours) was. There was one remark on the "TV Tropes" website which said that "Bokura no" was like "Evangelion" but even more depressing. Yikes! Not watching that one with a ten-foot cattle prod. I will be more than happy to keep my Earth away from any war games with other Earths, thank you very much. For those who are curious, you can check the link for the website that I've just cited above.

The reason that I'm even mentioning "Bokura no" is that I'm far more familiar with the opening theme by singer-songwriter Chiaki Ishikawa(石川智晶). When my anime buddy and I used to have those biweekly Sunday get-togethers for anime and meals in the pre-COVID age, there was the usual anison hour and he often played that opening theme "Uninstall". Beginning with a hauntingly beautiful but ominous chorus, Ishikawa's melody and vocals turned to an urgent dream pop tune. I don't think that my friend ever explained about "Bokura no" in detail so I had imagined that whatever anime possessed "Uninstall" was more about a suspenseful Internet-based show of intrigue, not a mecha anime version of "And Then There Were None". "Uninstall" was released as her June 2007 single, it hit No. 13 on Oricon and earned Gold status.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.