Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, November 25, 2021

Tony Bennett -- Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town

 

First off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone down in the United States. Hope the turkey and stuffing taste good. Secondly, since it is November 25th, it is time for "Kayo Kyoku Plus" to hit Christmas mode, so for the next month before the Yuletide finally arrives, I will be putting up some J-Xmas tunes from time to time. Coincidentally enough, today falls on a Thursday which is usually time for the weekly Reminiscings of Youth article, so why not mix a ROY and a Christmas tune?


So, let us begin. According to Wikipedia, the old chestnut "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" created by J. Fred Coots and Haven Gillespie may have been first recorded in October 1934 thanks to banjoist Harry Reser and his band, and it became a humongous hit so I gather that the money came to town, too. For little ol' J-Canuck, most likely my first listening to the song came about from watching the 1970 Rankin & Bass TV special of the same name starring Fred Astaire, Mickey Rooney and Keenan Wynn. Oh, how I hated the Burgermeister Meisterburger and how I rooted for the young red-haired Kris Kringle!


Some years later, my parents bought me the vinyl of "A Christmas Gift" by Ronco with all sorts of songs of the season performed by some of the best singers including Bing Crosby, Barbra Streisand and Julie Andrews. Now that I've had a record player for the past several years, I have been listening to the old LP again every year around this time, and Track 2 for me serves as probably my favourite version of the oft-recorded "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"...the one that had been on Tony Bennett's "Snowfall: The Tony Bennett Christmas Album" from October 1968.

I can say with some confidence that my interest in jazz in general and especially my love for Big Band Swing arose because of Bennett's smashing take on "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town". There is that mix of jazz swing and seasonal orchestral strings working hard behind the smooth dulcet tones of the one and only Tony, and that intro won me over immediately. Most likely, my ears exploded on hearing that brass section tear out of the stereo speakers for the first time. It just feels like the singer was on the Las Vegas stage on December 24th, and again going to that mix, fellow listeners and fans like myself must have enjoyed the classy horns blasting behind Tony while the strings sounded like a melodic version of a Hallmark card. 

There have been other jazz takes on "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" with folks like Diana Krall, The Manhattan Transfer and Michael Buble, but my sentimental favourite will always be the one by Bennett. It is for that reason that it feels particularly poignant this year since on reading that the singer has hung up his tuxedo or suit for the final time after one last concert and one last album at the age of 95. I'm not sure even at that age or with his battle against Alzheimer's Disease whether he wanted his retirement but he's certainly earned it and he's left us a legacy of great music.

For the kayo comparison this time, I've decided to bring in some of the award winners from the 10th Annual Japan Record Awards from 1968.

Grand Prize: Jun Mayuzumi -- Tenshi no Yuwaku (天使の誘惑)


Performance Prize: Mina Aoe -- Isezakicho Blues (伊勢崎町ブルース)


Best New Artist: Pinky and Killers -- Koi no Kisetsu (恋の季節)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.