Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, November 28, 2021

Rajie -- Shion(紫苑)

 

Earlier this morning, I received a comment from an Anonymous person who was mentioning about a song by singer-songwriter Rajie(ラジー). I hadn't written about her in quite a while so I decided to do some checking and came across "Shion".

For purposes of elucidation, I felt that I had to put up this flower which is known as "shion" in Japanese but refers to a particular light purple aster. Thanks to Wiktionary for this one.

"Shion" is a track from Rajie's November 1981 album "Acoustic Moon" and as Anonymous described it, it is wonderful and very distinct. I'm not sure whether there is any direct reference to the aster or even the colour but I'm more drawn to the fact that it has elements of not only City Pop in the sophisticated pop vein but also some of that Fashion Music that I've occasionally mentioned with singers such as Ruiko Kurahashi(倉橋ルイ子). Seeing the songwriters behind it, lyricist Etsuko Kisugi(来生えつこ), composer Kyohei Tsutsumi(筒美京平)and arranger Akira Inoue(井上鑑), that was an awfully big Bat-signal for me to check it out post-haste. As well, some of the French-ness in the music also had me thinking Taeko Ohnuki(大貫妙子).

I've got her BEST compilation as you can see from the thumbnail photo at the top, but maybe I'm missing out on some of the other selections on "Acoustic Moon". Perhaps there is still a small chance that I can get it on one of the sites. In any case, good choice, Anonymous!

4 comments:

  1. glad that you also love this song. In lyrics, shion seems like a lake(mizu) rather than a flowe . because i don't have the lyrics, so i'm not sure so I wonder if you can share the lyrics of the song if you have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could but I don't have the album and the lyrics for the songs can't be found anywhere online.

      Delete
    2. thanks for sharing your opinion. hope you can share your opinion about rajie's "rosy glass"(薔薇のグラス). I feel somehow familiar to this melody, like an old melody from america or france but can't think where this melody is from.

      Delete
    3. Hello there. I think "Bara no Glass" has that lovely bossa nova guitar in there so there is some Brazilian influence, and those strings hearken back to some of the movie soundtracks from 1950s Hollywood. Very classy.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.