Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, March 14, 2022

Ginger Root -- Kimi ni Mune Kyun (君に、胸キュン)

 

I only found out about this video on Alfa Music's YouTube channel last night but I enjoyed this version of a famous Yellow Magic Orchestra so much that I felt that I had to share it today.

YMO's "Kimi ni Mune Kyun" (Making Your Heart Go Boing) from 1983 is one of the technopop band's most popular tunes with them behind the music and Takashi Matsumoto(松本隆)on lyrics, and I've enjoyed it myself for its dreamy and light-hearted romp through the stars. And it's been a YMO tune that has had its share of covers by folks ranging from Asako Toki(土岐麻子)to Human League.

But as I said, last night I came across by accident, Ginger Root's (aka Cameron Lew) cover of a favourite Alfa song which happens to be "Kimi ni Mune Kyun". I've been interested in him since I discovered his "Loretta" last summer, a spacey and appropriately summery tune which mixes in the 80s and the new 20s through a Vaporwave sheen. Now with his cover of "Kimi ni Mune Kyun", he has applied his so-called elevator soul as he puts it to the YMO hit, and it's shiveringly cool and soothing (like a Halls lozenge!) thanks to that slice of Ginger. I also enjoy the echo effects that he has added that further enhances the dreaminess and spaciness of it all. Nice way to start another work week at KKP and I wonder whether this new take will be added to a new Ginger Root album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.