Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, March 20, 2022

LOU -- Nichiyoubi no Asa(日曜日の朝)

 

Well, this is coming out about a few hours after the titular time of this song has already passed but it's still looking pretty gorgeous out there for the first day of spring on this sunny Sunday, so I'll let the oversight pass.

"Nichiyoubi no Asa" (Sunday Morning) is a track from the band LOU's self-titled one-and-only album from April 1976 that I thankfully found. There's very little information on this group with almost all of the data that I could find being on the Tower Records website. This was apparently a Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司)-produced project featuring guitarist/vocalist Takuya Takahashi(高橋拓也), vocalist/electric sitarist Osamu Yamazaki(山崎修), vocalist Yoichi Imamura(今村陽一), drummer Seiichi Tanaka(田中聖一)and bassist Michiaki Suzuki(鈴木享明). I did find out on Suzuki's J-Wiki page that LOU was formed during his time attending Kanto Gakuin University in Yokohama (perhaps some or all of the band members were there). Some guest musicians also helped out on the album including keyboardists Hiroshi Sato(佐藤博)and Kentaro Haneda(羽田健太郎).

(19:08)

This particular track has had one comment comparing it to Quiet Storm music and even the Isley Brothers. On Tower Records, LOU has been described as a soft rock group bringing together a refined blend of folk and sweet soul. Hayashi's melody is the sort of light and mellow music that I used to hear on the radio as a kid. Meanwhile, Machiko Ryu's(竜真知子)bittersweet lyrics relate the story of a man feeling that his place is a whole lot bigger and sadder now that his significant other has now left the residence for good. As for me, when I think of Sunday mornings, I'm a lot more gastronomically happier with my bacon, eggs and Eggos.😋

2 comments:

  1. They used to sell Eggos in a 7-11 near my Ichikawa apartment for a short while but I guess outside of me and one other friend, they weren't popular so they disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to say. From what I've read over the years, non-Japanese companies trying to break into the Japanese market can be extremely stressful. McDonalds and Eddie Bauer managed to do it but Nathan's Hot Dogs and Boots Pharmacy weren't able to last.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.