Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Devil Masami -- Star Jazz Waltz

 

A few years ago, I wrote about a popular women's wrestling tandem known as Beauty Pair(ビューティ・ペア)consisting of Jackie Sato(ジャッキー佐藤)and Maki Ueda(マキ上田)who also released some songs. Then afterwards, although I can't think of the name right now, there was also an aidoru who decided to change her career and go into the wrestling world as she still put out singles.

But way before this blog, and in fact, back in my university days in the 1980s, I'd bought a compilation tape from the Chinatown record store Wah Yueh which had a plethora of J-Pop tunes, and one of them was by a singer by the name of Devil Masami(デビル雅美)nee Masami Yoshida(吉田雅美). With that name, I'd assumed that this was some sort of hard rock singer but instead her rendition of the song "J" was actually quite tenderhearted. Still I had assumed that singing was her main profession and it wouldn't be until many years later that I realized that Devil Masami was a professional wrestler who started out in All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling. The other interesting point was that the Fukuoka Prefecture-born wrestler had a pretty darn fine voice for singing and not just for "J", as I know now.

In fact, Devil Masami has a small discography of 5 singles (of which "J" was the final one) and 1 album titled "Rain of Tears" produced by Mark Goldenberg. Released in December 1985, one of the tracks is "Star Jazz Waltz" which is quite the polished and classy mellow tune, and again I'm impressed by her delicately husky and elegant vocals. In comparison with her nom de guerre, she certainly doesn't sound devilish here; quite the opposite, actually.

"Star Jazz Waltz" was written by Etsuko Kisugi(来生えつこ)and composed by Katsu Hoshi(星勝), according to the JASRAC database, and though I'm not quite sure about the jazz part, it does have that waltz-like lilt in the arrangement. I'd even say that this could fit the Quiet Storm sub-genre. So, I'll have to see if I can track down "J" now.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Brian. Never watched wrestling on TV aside from some of those YouTube clips but for all that violence, she's got quite the voice. Not that the relationship between vocals and violence have any sort of connection, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really does have a subtle and easy to listen to voice. Another female voice to fall in love with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, she does, James. I'm hoping that I can track down her version of "J" which was the very first song by her that I heard on a compilation tape back in university.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.