Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Akari Akase -- Koi no Yukue(恋ノ行方)

 

I've already mentioned that the St. Patrick's Day parade is going to be happening tomorrow which a lot of folks are excited about. What I hadn't known was that Toronto's ComiCon began its run this weekend, and so all of the cosplayers are back out and having fun inside the convention centre. I'm really hoping that things will remain relatively safe but the media has been out in full force, and even during one report on television, I saw one maid walking about in front of Union Station.

Ah, that does remind me. I've been a season behind on the anime viewing so I'm still going through the last number of episodes belong to "Senpai ga Uzai Kohai no Hanashi"(先輩がうざい後輩の話...My Senpai is Annoying) and "Komi-san wa, Komyu-sho desu."(古見さんは、コミュ症です。...Komi Can't Communicate). However, I have taken notice that one manga-adapted anime from the Winter 2022 season has been standing out and it seems to be all about the cosplay and the romance that's blossoming within it. 

It's called "My Dress-Up Darling" in English although the Japanese title is "Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi o Suru"(その着せ替え人形は恋をする), and over the past few months, YouTube excerpts have been popping up pretty frequently including today. The budding relationship between an introverted high school boy with handicraft talent and an extroverted gyaru otaku who loves to cosplay isn't something that I'd ever imagined but it's worked here and I've watched the videos a number of times now. 

It's only been within the last couple of days though that I've paid attention to the ending credits and the theme that goes along with it, "Koi no Yukue" (Where Love Is). Appropriately enough, it's sung by a cosplayer herself, Akari Akase(あかせあかり), who's also a gravure idol and singer according to her Wikipedia article. "Koi no Yukue" is her first single from February 23rd and it went all the way up to No. 17 on Oricon. What I've liked about the song so far is that faint feeling of Shibuya-kei or at least something that feels like ye-ye pop in the arrangement, words and music by NA.ZU.NA. Also, Akase's cooing or whispery vocals don't hurt either.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, very much so which is the type of anime that I prefer. Slice-of-life and all that.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.