Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, September 29, 2022

Yuki Saito/Hiroko Taniyama -- MAY

 

I'm still trying to reconcile the fact that this sweet-singing aidoru of the 1980s was also starring in the tough-as-nails "Sukeban Deka"(スケバン刑事)franchise although I've seen my fair share of the episodes. Maybe along with the voice, it's Yuki Saito's(斉藤由貴)puppy dog eyes.

But I digress. I was watching one episode of "The Best 10"(ザ・ベストテン)recently and saw Saito appear on the TBS music show of the 80s. She sang her 8th single "MAY" which was released in November 1986, and I was immediately reminded that I had heard this one before, so my memory engrams came to the rescue once again. It was the chorus that got me to remember.

Written by Hiroko Taniyama(谷山浩子), composed by MAYUMI and arranged by Satoshi Takebe(武部聡志), it's pure lovable innocence as a young girl named May keeps trying to assert himself in front of the boy that she loves but, doggone it, she keeps coming up short. The pink fluffy aidoru clouds are further propelled by Saito's soft and slightly whispery voice.

I've only remembered "MAY" as a Saito single, but it's been associated as an NEC jingle and also as the theme song for the 1987 film "Koi suru Onna-tachi"(恋する女たち...Women in Love) with the singer as the star. The song was a track on Saito's 4th studio album "Fuumu"(風夢...Wind Dream) which came out in April 1987. While "MAY" peaked at No.2 and became the 39th-ranked single of the year, "Fuumu" hit No. 1 and was ranked No. 41 on the yearly charts.

Lyricist Taniyama herself did her own cover of "MAY" as her 19th single which was also released in November 1986. It reached No. 85 on Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.